Engine bay cleanup

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I had a recommendation on how to clean your engine bay and motor up with purple power. Basically the guy told me to seal off the air filter and hit it with a warm power washer then apply the purple power with a spray bottle to the entire engine bay and rinse it twice with a hot powerwash.

1. What stuff do you guys recommend using on the engine bay?

2. What are the things I need to avoid getting wet besides the air filter?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I use Simple Green, sort of like Purple Power. Keep the water away from the electronic boxes. They won't take a direct blast from the water hose and live. Common sense is the best.

Dave

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on what Dave said. I need to do mine and I'm as nervous as a cat in a roomfull of rocking chairs. :D

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. It would be so much less time consuming to do it that way. I usually hand clean it when I've done it in the past.

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
Simple Green or Purple Power & water hose with reg sprayer, no power washing, very bad! i wouldnt know though :innocent

JRJ04

Reaction score
any degreaser will work..

make sure your dipsticks are on tight, and also cover the ps fluid resivoir...thers a small hole in it to let it breathe and you dont want water getting in there...

x2 on the electronics, you dont want to hit them hard and i would not use pressure...if you let the degreaser soak for a bit...it should pretty well get everything off and you shouldnt need pressure.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Cool. Great info guys. I'm gonna get some purple power and let it set for a while. I'll cover the air filter, ps resivoir, and the electrics and make sure the dipsticks tight. And the hit it wit the garden hose. Any other recommendations welcome! Thanks guys.

Fine69

Reaction score
I always use Simple Green or Mr. Clean on a WARM, not HOT, engine. Just use regular sprayer on a garden hose, always comes out looking like new.:sweet

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
One word of caution; Purple Stuff will stain your aluminum if left on too long. Don't know if you care or not, just thought I'd add it for a little more info. I plan on coating mine so no big deal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr