Question Engine cranks but won't start, No "Wait to Start" Light.

jwcain

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a late 99 7.3 PSD. with 84K on it and it won't start. I drove it last week after changing the fuel filter and all seemed well until today. I did notice the "Wait to start" Light does not luminate and I do hear the fuel pump working and there are no blown fuses. My manuel say there is a problem with the glow plug circuit when the light dosen't come on but not much detail. Does anyone have any suggestions where to start looking?
To recap, Engine cranks
Wait to start lamp does not come on.
No blown fuses that I could find.

mrpowerstrokeman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you probably do have a blown fuse it will be the pcm power fuse and most likely your fuel heater is shorted out. removed the fuel filter cap and look inside at the heater. you will probably find the heater has came off and is touching the metal housing somewhere. quick fix is unplug the heater replace the fuse and she will start most likly it will be fuse 24 under the hood it will be a maxi fuse

Last edited:

jwcain

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I sure do appreciate your response to my starting problem with my 99 psd the other day, thanks again. I did manage to get my hands on a OBD II scanner. It indicated that there was no data link...? I double checked all fuses again that powered or had anything to with the PCM and they all checked out okay. I suspect the PCM unit may have taken a big dump. do you have any other suggestion?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can't use just any OBD II scanner with these trucks. You need one that will use CAN Communications protocol. This is what our trucks use to talk to the scanners. The wave of the future. I have and Autoenginuity scanner that runs on my Windows Laptop. It is NOT cheap. AutoEnginuity® - OBD2 Scan Tool - Professional PC and PDA Diagnostics for more. There are others also.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
to get it back on the road...
1. Unplug the white electrical connector going to the bottom of the fuel filter bowl. It'll be in the back, towards the turbocharger. You may need like a pocket screwdriver to help.

2. Take the lower dash panel off and replace the #30 fuse. It's a 30amp mini-fuse.

3. Call Ford and order a new fuel bowl heater. You could do the IHC upgrade/conversion, but it involves knocking a hunk of aluminum out of the bottom of the bowl, and if I tried it on my own truck, I'd blow the bottom of the bowl out, guaranteed.

4. Read this thread. http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/99-7-3l-powerstroke-engine-drivetrain/20261-dammy-pos.html

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64