EPA sticker/ VS exhaust mods

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I was reading the plethora of warning stickers and associated "protect me from myself stickers" :D while installing my new "docking" lights in my front bumper and was thinking (out loud, the neighbors already know i have issues) :D
anyway the big sticker stating my vehicle warranty would be voided if a failed part caused the damage, unless it meets the epa CFR for registration and compliance. SOOOOOOO
When I install my 4' exhaust and keep the cat and add a big fat 5" tip.
are theses exhausts certified under the epa rules?
and if so, I should have no worries about the warranty.
notice it didnt say power adding items. it just states if they meet epa regulations.... so if a predator or chip or some other tuner can meet epa requiremetns we should be safe right???
nice monday morning question

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Keeping the Cat is the thing in complying with the EPA. They don't care about the tubing size, just the Cat.

Dave

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If we are talking PARTICULARLY about the exhaust system...
then the EPA has nothing to do with exhaust other than the Cat....

Now if you dump the exhaust out before the cat :) :) :) maybe so...

As far as tuners, NONE are epa certified I'll bet... and ALL will create warranty issues if you have a catastrophic failure that can be traced back to your tuner...

Honestly though,
they usually don't VOID your warranty, just deny the repairs for issues they think were caused by the tuner....
if your warranty is tagged for a tuner and your air conditiner goes out - your ac SHOULD be covered...

now, given all that gloom and doom....
judicious use of a tuner should not cause any problems...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I am leaning pretty hard towards a certain turbo back system that keeps the cat,
and I had excellent service from my predator in the tow mode.
Really want a tuner that will keep teh tq converter locked when i let off the throttle and smooth out the shifting oddities, plus deal with the right off idle Stumble if you agressivley lean on teh go pedal, like trying to quickly merge in traffic. noraml stuff. I am to old to race around with a 100 hp chip.
my reflexes are just to slow :eek: :D
I know of a person who had teh programming set up to lock down and spin up teh turbo quicker just at the press of the throttle, oter than the turbine engine sound it had almost zero lag.
JohnBoyToo said:
If we are talking PARTICULARLY about the exhaust system...
then the EPA has nothing to do with exhaust other than the Cat....

Now if you dump the exhaust out before the cat :) :) :) maybe so...

As far as tuners, NONE are epa certified I'll bet... and ALL will create warranty issues if you have a catastrophic failure that can be traced back to your tuner...

Honestly though,
they usually don't VOID your warranty, just deny the repairs for issues they think were caused by the tuner....
if your warranty is tagged for a tuner and your air conditiner goes out - your ac SHOULD be covered...

now, given all that gloom and doom....
judicious use of a tuner should not cause any problems...

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you are probably talking about the SCT XCal....
they have almost complete control of most of the Engine and tranny functions....

BUT, you can't just buy the tuner, you have to pick the right place to get it that knows how to program it properly....
Sine it IS CUSTOM tuning...
so do your homework and ensure they can properly program YOUR truck - i.e. they've already done your model year and your tranny type, etc...
otherwise, your chip MAY be slower than stock :)

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Thanks
I am talking to pdq right now
is it friday yet :D
JohnBoyToo said:
Then you are probably talking about the SCT XCal....
they have almost complete control of most of the Engine and tranny functions....

BUT, you can't just buy the tuner, you have to pick the right place to get it that knows how to program it properly....
Sine it IS CUSTOM tuning...
so do your homework and ensure they can properly program YOUR truck - i.e. they've already done your model year and your tranny type, etc...
otherwise, your chip MAY be slower than stock :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg