Equalizer hitch

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Is it overkill to use a 1200lb. tongue weight 12000lb. total trailer weight eqaulizer hitch on a trailer that is under 8000lbs. ? Do you go by the weight rateing for a hitch trailer combo for it to work right? I really don't have a clue when it comes to this kind of hitch setup.

Hooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under 8000lbs? If your trailer is around 8k your in good shape. There's some
adjustment in the bars on most units. Be sure to read the instructions when you install it and you'll be good. Load equalizing hitches can make towing a pleasure. Be sure to look into a sway bar as well. Have fun.

Tim

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the hitch is New to You, and you don't have the instructions ? As a general rule of thumb ? When you drop the weight of the trailer on the ball.. use a Level on the tongue and use only the number of chain links it takes to get the tongue level.

X2 on using a Sway bar too ;tu

Many hitch installers will help you "fine tune" the receiver/ball shim set up, as to ball height, pitch angle and so on, in relation to yer truck and the specific trailer.

Yer call, but I'd do that ??

Joe

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I've been looking into buying a used husky hitch with sway bar that seems to be in very good shape. Have been pulling a 24ft. enclosed and our 26ft travel trailer without to much sway but would like the security of a good hitch. The 350 handles them well but they don't trail like my goosenecks do.

Sakkit

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Equalizer Hitch Needed??

Just got a 30 foot travel trailer that weighs around 6000 lbs and has a hitch weight of around 700 pounds. Pulling it with a 2006 F350 SuperDuty. Right now I am using a 8 inch drop hitch to pull it. I just got it, so I have not pulled it that much. I have been told by several people that I need an Equalizer Hitch. Is this true?....Any Suggestions or thoughts?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
700 pounds on a F-350 is nothing. I have pulled a lot more tongue weight without any problems. You don't need it. If you have problems with sway, you might need it.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if my truck handles the load but I don't want sway would just the sway bar thingy work for me.

Yes. Sway control, when towing, is something you might not think you need for a light load, but if you get in to a cross wind, get in the mix with some Big Trucks or a travel a curvy road.. yul wish you had it. A sway bar takes the Snap out of any sudden, or changing movement and keeps things "in line" in slippery conditions too.

It's just good insurance.. for a safe tow. IMO, the Bar type would work real good for you.

Joe

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
Check the type of sway control bar you are using. The friction ones actually say
to loosen them up in slick conditions because they can have too much resistance and
lock.

Adjusting the bars and head angle of the weight distribution hitches is very important
and takes some time. Head angle needs to be adjusted with shims so that with the
bars tight they are parallel to the ground. The trailer should also be level, and the
front of the truck be the same height or a little lower than with no load. This will
take several tries with shims to get it right. Makes all the difference though. It is
rare I see one adjusted correctly.

I just went the Hensley Arrow route. With the speed I can tow in Tx, and the cross
winds, even the high end weight distribution anti-sway did work as well as I wanted.
Have a nice one in a box the Hensley came out of.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg