Equipment Compatiblity

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Well I have learned a great deal in the last couple of weeks and want to relay the info.

First, not all filter manufacturers warranty products for use with biodiesel. I have not heard back from any manufacturers other than Baldwin and Racor. I haven't tried to contact any non-responding companies since Racor has gotten my business. Baldwin does NOT warranty ANY of their products with any blend of bio. Not even the stock replacements. The seals they use aren't up to the task and they see no need in upgrading at the moment. Racor has my confidence and WILL warranty any product with even B100. They use nitrile seals and assure me any adhesives used are compatible. If you use another maufacturer, make sure their products are biodiesel friendly!

NBB has told me any hoses and seals used with B100 need to be viton or teflon. Nitrile seems to be a good choice so far but NBB didn't mention it in the email. Blend users MAY be able to get away with a lower grade material.

Tank material is the latest info I've gotten. I have a carbon steel bed tank that is corroding, the producer and vendor of my fuel got some info yesterday evening that it's NOT compatible with B100. B20 and lower can use carbon steel. Higher blends need to be contained in polyethylene (PETE 2 rating) or aluminum. Stainless I would bet is good too, just pricey. The SD tanks are plastic and I'm assuming PETE 2. What are the OBS tanks made from?

If anyone has anything else to offer please post up!

-popcorn

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Antonio, I appreciate your desire to find out the correct answers for tank compatibility for those of us who run B-100 . Here's a link from Transfer Flow. Their toll free number is 1-800-442-0056 and the sales manager's email is [email protected]

I don't know what my OBS tank is made of, but if it's not B-100 compatible I surely will replace them. I also am planning on getting an aux tank too and have the same concerns as you.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Test Mule :hail :hail
and you thought veggie oil was just for making popcorn.

been reading a bunch this morning as have you...
the tanker trucks that transfer the bio to the retailer....?
big oil compaines use alum tank liners or stainless, with a shiny outer overlay of stainless.
if a guy is just getting into delvery of said new fuels, is he using old steel tank trucks???
the reason i ask is most of the fuel trucks on our helicopter ramps are of the STEEL variety, painted YELLER, and they are very well mainted then sold at auction for good prices , after a few years.
and i see a few old boys around here delivering fuels are using STEEl

just thinking out loud, i have no idea how your was delivered or transported

the pipelines that are used to pump oil all over the country are made of ???

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
New Info

Well I got some updated info while at lunch. My vendor got some info from NBB that the cheaper steel tanks are OK as long as there's no rust in them. The rust will come off with B100 if it's there. #2 has alot of water in it from my experiences so I wouldn't use a steel tank that's had #2 in it. My tank is still getting replace with an aluminum one.

Robert,

Their tanker is SS.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
one bad batch of bio with som e water in your less expensive steel tank, coating is gone and you got rust.
yep good choice alum or plastic

so does this mean your loading up on #2 and heading east

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
so does this mean your loading up on #2 and heading east

No.:( Don't have time to drop the tank and get the crap out. Plus I'm only getting reimbursed 300 of the 800 bucks for the new tank/box combo.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
No.:( Don't have time to drop the tank and get the crap out. Plus I'm only getting reimbursed 300 of the 800 bucks for the new tank/box combo.
:( :( :(
oh well there is next year,
800 smackers WOW but reasonable, does come with a sender and all the fittings or is it a transfer tank ?

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
100g transfer tank and I can use my locking fill caps from my current tank. Northern Tool has a 95g combo that's ~$550 but I don't know what they get you for in shipping.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
roosterdiesel said:
Higher blends need to be contained in polyethylene (PETE 2 rating) or aluminum.

That was kind of some misinformation.

Short term containment can be polyethylene. Long term needs to be polypropylene. The polyethylene is not holding up over longer periods of time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58