Question EX springs in an SD

koldcustoms

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

2000 F350, SRW, 2WD, regular cab. Basic truck where the only options installed are a diesel with automatic, tow package and a sliding rear window. This truck is relatively light compared to SDs with extended/crew cabs, 4WD, dually, power everything, etc. The ride quality in the rear is extremely harsh- worse than further-optioned (heavier) SDs of the same era.

I've installed KYB mono tube shocks front and rear. I've also lowered the rear 2" using drop shackles, (for aesthetics). Dropping the rear made a huge improvement in ride quality. I figure this is due to reduced swing travel of the longer shackle during spring deflection, thus transferring less vibration to the chassis. However, I'd like to make further improvements.

An '08+ spring swap is being considered. However, I wonder about swapping the SD leaf springs out for a pair of Excursion's. Given that the Excursion is heavier in the rear than the SD, yet has lower rated springs, they should be more than adequate for how I use the truck. Does anyone have any experience trying this? What was the result?

Lots of people installing SD springs in their EX. I want to go the other way: EX springs in an SD.
Thanks.

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've swapped a lot of springs around in mud racing trucks. Removing short springs in the stack soften the ride. My SD rides rough but i use it to tow/ haul so the rough ride is a necessary evil when empty. Take a look at your spring stack and see if there's a short spring that could be removed then give it a test ride. The only thing to lose is maybe a couple big U- bolts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58