Excursion cutting out randomly?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a 2003 Excursion with a 7.3. He hasn't had a stitch of trouble with it until now. When driving through town or going down the highway, it will randomly "cut-out". Like the engine dies and before he has time to glance down at the gauges, it fires right back up on its own and continues on down the road. He last that last night his wife was going through town and it shut off, so she pulled over to the side of the road. As she was putting it into park, it started right up again, without turning the key. It hasn't set off any lights yet and he contacted the local Ford dealership and they said they couldn't do anything about it until it was totally dead and wouldn't run anymore. Any of you guys ever heard about this? I was thinking cps, but since it refires on its own, kinda throws that one out. We're baffled:confused:

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I agree, I had a similiar problem with my 2000 X and it happened with a new CPS (<12mths old). I would buy a spare (as recommended) put it in (20min job) and if that fixes it GREAT, X is CURED. If it doesn't, well you have a good spare in glove box for when you do need it.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to order a new cps from the Powerstrokeshop. Question about that is, don't members get a discount through them? If so, how do I go about receiving the discount when ordering online?

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14