Exhaust Paint help?

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought an aluminized exhaust I want to paint black. Got the VHT paint. ( very high temp). Not sure how to prep the metal any thoughts/ideas guys?. Thanks in advance.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought an aluminized exhaust I want to paint black. Got the VHT paint. ( very high temp). Not sure how to prep the metal any thoughts/ideas guys?. Thanks in advance.

I wiped mine down twice with Acetone.. then sprayed it with VHT black.. then the next morning sprayed it again with Krylon, black BBQ paint, as a final/seal coat.

Been on there about 7 years.. I touch it up regularly and have re-"Rattle Canned" the whole thing.. maybe 2~3 times.

Works well.. Looks good. :dunno

Joe

I've never been able to "Hang" with that un-finished look.. UNDER, cars & trucks. Wife sez it's part of my being a Virgo ??? :lmao:lmao

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
i was actually wondering this myself...gonna get the aluminum system and have it powder-coated...but they dip it into a 'vat' of something to clean it anyway....... i was even thinking of using the 'fireplace' paint....that takes hi temps!!!

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As easy as it was to install my exhaust, I went with the acetone wipe ( thanks for the hint) then just painted it myself. Half the fun of owning this truck is working on it yourself. After that I just cured it myself, if that doesnt holdup I'll pay someone else to do it next time.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
As easy as it was to install my exhaust, I went with the acetone wipe ( thanks for the hint) then just painted it myself. Half the fun of owning this truck is working on it yourself. After that I just cured it myself, if that doesnt holdup I'll pay someone else to do it next time.

how did you do that? heat gun?
got pix?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start it up. Let the engines heat cure the paint.

Dave

That's what I did, but I only ran it for about 5 minutes, at idle, then let it sit overnight.

On another truck, I drove it around to dry it.. ended up with Crackling on the bends, had to re-do almost the whole thing.

Joe

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
uumm duh... i must be honest and say my blonde head would have never thought of that???

thanks

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on the paint I used, directions said idle 10 mins, cool 20 min. Idle 20 mins cool 20 mins. Then 30 min drive around cool 20 mins. S o far so good. No cracking yet.

nc1500

MyFirstPS444
Reaction score
on the paint I used, directions said idle 10 mins, cool 20 min. Idle 20 mins cool 20 mins. Then 30 min drive around cool 20 mins. S o far so good. No cracking yet.

I want to see just how good the VHT is and see how well it holds up to a 6.4 during regen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64