Exhaust question

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning guys. Hypertech is on max and the S&B intake works great. My next simple mod is the exhaust. I have read in numerous diesel mag's that the downpipe really doesn't need to be replaced but a better muffler will help lower my EGT's. Is anyone running straight out the back with no cat or muffler? I'm just curious how loud it is. I want to get my temp's a little lower before summer hits again when I start towing 5000+ pounds of boat. I have a 5' piece of 4" I can weld in after I cut everything out but I don't want it too loud or a bad drone to take over the turbo spooling up. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Odie.

Last edited:

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running a 4" MBRP turbo back without a muffler. does not sound loud. actually my kit came with a muffler, ran with it installed for about month then took it off because the exhaust wasnt any louder than stock except for a little rumble. the egt's went down. if you have a tuner,intake i would get a full 4" turbo back. a friend and i installed my kit in less than an hour. the only hard part was removing the downpipe.

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just move to a bigger DP with new exhaust. You will notice a difference in Power and lower EGT. But if you want a test to see what it is like just delete the muffler and put a straight pipe in its place. That will give you an idea of what the truck will sound like.

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I guess maybe I'll cut the muff out this weekend and leave the cat for now. There's a few guys running around here that have aftermarket exhausts but they are always going the opposite way that I am when I see them. I'd like to catch up and see what they are running. One of my Flight Mechanics has a brother with a Magnaflow I think and it sounds sad on his Dodge. I just want to get it right the first time. If it sounds alright without the muff I may just leave it that way.

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 4 inch MRBP turbo back off road (so no cat) and it does not droan like a gasser. I have thought about removing the muffler but have not yet done it.

forumpete58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my muffler and cat cut off and a piece of 4" in its place. I think it sounds great and it saved me a lot of cash.

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
my exhaust is a 3 in DP to a 4 in straight all the way out to a 5 inch tip and it really isnt that bad. (not as loud as you would think) the only time it gets annoying is when Im on the highway (I got 410 gears)

JRJ04

Reaction score
the majority of your power gains will be seen in changing the dp. if you want to get it right the first time, get a full 4 inch system and buy the mbrp. i bought an off brand from rpmoutlet.com and it didnt fit worth a crap. i had to reweld a hanger and change the last section of pipe to get it looking right. go with an mbrp. it is a great fit, great sound, and you definately get the most bang for your buck

1064rg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 95 w/ 3" dp 4.5" straight pipe, 5" chrome big rig turnout in front of tire is LOUD at interstate speeds. At 50-60 not to bad.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64