Exhaust smell in cab when idling?

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the truck to the dealer last week for scheduled oil change. Everything was fine until I noticed a really strong diesel exhaust smell coming through the heater vents. Only smells when sitting still idling.... and it's not the regular exhaust smell that normally comes from the tail pipe of a 6.4 - it smells like the BBQ charcoal from a pre-DPF diesel, if that makes any sense (makes me hungry! :tounge). Truck runs fine otherwise- no power loss or running rough, etc., I just smell like I've been to a BBQ cook-off when I come to a stop! :lmao

Just wondering if it was something that got knocked loose while doing the oil change, etc?? The engine bay in this 6.4 is so tight, you can't see anything! Also, if it is an exhaust leak of some sort (obviously), should this be covered under warranty? I don't wanna take it up there, have them tell me, "We'll take a look at it", then charge me a few hundred bucks if it's not covered under warranty!

Just wanted to get some advice from the "real experts" before I go talk to the [ahem] "experts", so I'll *sound* like I know what I'm talking about. :innocent

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take that Puppy... Right Back To The Dealer/Shop.

It didn't Stink before you took it in :dunno

Have Them sit in it.

Joe

Davesz06

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
BBQ Smell

Take it back! Its covered under power train warr. for 100000 Mi. .Might be a cracked down pipe. Dave

Davesz06

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
BBQ Smell

After thinking about it,the techy might have laid his sandwich on the engine while changing the oil filter!!:)

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open your hood and look at everything, check the oil fill cap and the dip stick, i've seen someone forget to put the cap back on and it did the same thing you talking about.
And take it back and raise some hell with the manager MAKE THEM figure out whats wrong.

Fine69

Reaction score
It's DEFINITELY covered under warranty. Take it back and make them fix it! This is why I always do my own oil changes. Dealerships have the lowest man on the Totem pole do oil changes. If your happy with some High School kid changing oil in your $50K+ truck, go to the dealer. Me, I'll keep doin it myself.

Last edited:

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ding Ding Ding! wpfd571 is the winner! (no less thanks to everyone else that chimed in!). :sweet

I took it by the dealer this morning. They looked at it, listened to it, had a mechanic come out and glance at it in the parking lot... then the service mgr reached up and tightened the oil fill cap?!?!? Voila! No smell!

I was mad, glad, and embarrassed, all at the same time. Felt a little like the guy in "Slingblade" that took his lawn mower in for repair, and wouldn't crank because it didn't have any gasoline! Honestly, I never woulda thunk to check an oil fill cap to stop exhaust fumes from coming through my defrost vents??? Made sense after he explained the whole engine-pressure thing and fumes pooling under the hood, etc. [ahem] In case you haven't figured out already- I'm not a mechanic. :tounge

Fine69- I agree with you 100%! I don't like the idea of a pimply-faced kid *wrenching* on my $50K+ truck.... but I also don't wanna throw away a dozen or more oil changes that I've already paid for w/ my extended warranty either.... so I figure, let them change the oil , and if anything gets messed up- turn right back around and make THEM fix it!

You guys never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of these machines. SDD wins again! :clap:

MichaelCH

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Missing Filler Cap

Thanks------- I had the same smell problem with a strong exhaust smell when idling or going slow in my 08 450. Started right after an oil change at Prestige Ford in Mt Dora FL. I thought it was some oil spilled on exhaust pipe and would go away.
When I read this thread, I liffted the hood, And mine is missing competely. The idiots didnt put the filler cap back on. I didnt like the service writer and now I have a reason to go back and have a word word with his boss.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58