Expedition towing a 30ft. travel trailer, little help please.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
OK, looks like I will be making a trip to pick-up a 30ft. travel trailer next weekend.

My question is this. Gonna be towing it with a 2004 Expedition. Is the 2" ball-receiver hitch gonna be more than able to pull the trailer and keep the tongue weight distributed ok, or do I need to have one of those weight distribution receiver's?

Sorry if it sounds like I don't know the lingo for that, but I don't.

I know plenty of you will know exactly what I am trying to ask.

BTW, the trailer does not have any slide outs, so I believe it's gonna be a faily light trailer.

Thanks in advance.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02 would be.. Yes, you need a Weight Distribution Hitch Bama.

Slides or No Slides..30 feet is LONG, for a Travel trailer.. Without a WDH.. the Tail would most likely be.. Wag'n the Dog (?) as far as axel weight and steering goes, on an X ?

Joe

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
My .02 would be.. Yes, you need a Weight Distribution Hitch Bama.

Slides or No Slides..30 feet is LONG, for a Travel trailer.. Without a WDH.. the Tail would most likely be.. Wag'n the Dog ?

Joe

Thanks Joe. I hope I can find one locally. What should the cost be on something like that?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me*, just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Have checked with U-haul and the like ? I think they Rent that kinda thing :dunno

* All WDH's have to meet certain DOT and Industry Standards & Specs.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Looks good to me*, just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Have checked with U-haul and the like ? I think they Rent that kinda thing :dunno

* All WDH's have to meet certain DOT and Industry Standards & Specs.

Good idea Joe. I could at least do that to get it home. Trip will be about 300+ miles.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea Joe. I could at least do that to get it home. Trip will be about 300+ miles.

I've dealt with U-haul on this stuff.. they have everything yul need (incl. sway bar, like Dennis sez).. everything bolts on/slips in.. for a "One Time" deal. Yul need to know the TT weight, frame height & width... makes it easier for U-haul to hook you up with the right gear ?

rgjcc1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bama,

The WDH is definitely needed. As stated by others in this thread, you will get a wagging effect and the weight of a 30ft travel trailer will put a hamper on your rear suspension with the expedition. I tow a 23ft TT and have a WDH for it. Good Luck,

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Ok guys. I went to our local travel trailer store, B & M Campers. I bought a WDH from them that has a sway bar control with the kit. Paid 350.00 out the door. This will not be a one time pull. Gonna be pulling to the local state park and hopefully some other short distances in the future as well.

I am going to go get it with my 1997 Chevy 1500. It has a brake controller, where as my wife's Expedition does not. That didn't even cross my mind until the guy at the camper store asked me.

Gonna upgrade the shocks on the pick-up this week for better ride and load control on the rear end. I bought some Monroe Synsa-tract load control shocks for the rear and some Synsa-tracs for the front.

This truck does not have a factory steering stabilizer on it. Would it be a good idea to add that now that I will be using it to tow the 30ft. trailer? It shimmys a good bit now, I think it would help with that. Plus my steering box seems a little sluggish. Gonna get that tightened up too this week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track