Extended Warranty

Discussion in '6.7L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by Dan M, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Dan M

Dan M SDD Junior Member

I bought a new Lariat F-250 diesel in 2018. I bought a Ford extended warranty afterward because with 10% down, they give you 24 months to pay the balance of about $3400 interest free so it’s fairly painless. Question is, is buying it a waste of money? The warranty is bumper to bumper for 8 years or 100K miles.

2. Tbar

Tbar SDD STAFF/Moderator Staff Member

When I bought my 2012 I made claims for a new radiator and EGR cooler. I didn't come out ahead on my warranty until I had the DEF heater replaced. Kept the truck 7-1/2 years & 85k miles.

Just bought a 2020. You don't want to know what a warranty cost for one of these. Super complicated machines that are going to be expensive to repair.

Dan M likes this.
  3. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

That's really hard to say. If nothing goes wrong then you could say it's a waste. If something big breaks you'll think it was worth it. I usually passed on the warranties when we bought used cars. But I got one for my Expedition just because. One replaced seat, new cam, and a few other things I came out way ahead. I kinda wish I had gotten the extended warranty for truck since my back up camera still acts up at times.

Dan M likes this.
  4. DeFord1

DeFord1 OU#1

I purchased my F250 new in 2008 and purchased the Ford ESP. Ultimately, I dropped a cylinder and had to have an extended long block put in my truck. So really, it is a great piece of mind.

Dan M likes this.
  5. stever01

stever01 SDD Junior Member

I got a 17 f350 lariat I thought it was money well spent.peace of mind.

6. Dan M

Dan M SDD Junior Member

7. Dan M

Dan M SDD Junior Member

Thanks to all for input. I guess piece of mind is a major concern. And the 2020’s just keep going up in price. I looked at the three main diesel trucks before buying the Ford. It is a great truck but super complicated hence the ext warranty. Ashamed that a $70-80K truck needs more warranty.

stever01 likes this.
  8. gary candito

gary candito SDD Junior Member

Just make sure you are aware that the warranity starts the day the truck is built and not on the day you buy it..

9. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Full Access Member

To me the times i have bought an extended warranty, it's been a waste of money

DaveBen likes this.
  10. thecroz

thecroz SDD Junior Member

Funny, We're Neighbors, I'm in Fairfield.. My Warranty started the day I signed the papers..