Extreme Ammount of Noise Coming Through CB Radio

linx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was refered to this site to see if you guys could help me out. I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I have a 1995 F250 Powerstroke. When I first started driving this truck (about 3 years ago) I installed a CB in the truck. The CB was a Cobra 148 GTL, with a Cobra A2000 magnet mount antenna. The CB has a lot of noise. On the meter, it's 3/4 of the way full of noise. I dealt with this for a year, and then got tired of it. I then changed my complete setup to try and get rid of the noise and make sure it was not my equipment. I tried my backup radio which is a Uniden 66 and Wilson 5000, and the noise was still there. I then bought a new setup, a RCI 2950DX, and a Predator 10K antenna on a triple magnet mount, and still I have this rediculous noise in the radio.

Here is what I have tried, as being refered from a CB radio forum. I installed new batteries (2), new 200amp Powermaster Alternator, I installed Cable Xperts aircraft quality Coaxial cable (100% shielding), I grounded my magnet antenna, I ran a ground from the alternator to the frame, a ground from the cab to the frame, a ground from the bed to the frame, and a new battery ground from the battery to the frame. I then installed a Pyramid NS50 noise filter on the radio, ran new 10 gauge wire from the radio strait to the battery, and tried grounding the radio at 4 different places including the frame, the battery, the seat post, etc. Please note, NONE OF THESE THINGS HAVE WORKED!. These are all things that were refered for me to try. I keep the AM/FM radio off, but when I do play it, I get no interference in it. I have been refered to the fuel pump, but if I am not mistaken, this truck has a mechanical fuel pump. When I turn the wipers, ac/heater, or use the power windows, the radio is filled with noise.

I am a die hard Ford fan. I run a business where I have 13 Ford box trucks, I have 4 PSD's, including a new 2008, but I like this old truck, and drive it daily. It's just a good old truck, and I don't want to stop driving it. Please throw some suggestions at me, as to what I need to do to get rid of the noise issue. I will let you know which steps I have tried, or offer to try that step.

By the way, I have used all these radios at my CB base station at home, and they all work great. Is it maybe the computer, injectors, turbo? Who knows. The noise in my radio is so intense, that I barely hear other people talking to me.

Thanks guys.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
first and foremost :welcome3

is there any other aftermarket electronics on the truck? (fuel pump, coolant circulator, hi perf. electric leaf blower from ebay....?)

you are correct, our old body styles have a mechanical fuel pump, so dont worry about that, or the turbo either.

is the noise there with the engine off, key on? if it is only when the engine is running it greatly narrows the possibilities. also does the frequency go up/down with engine rpm?

also, where exactly is your antena mounted?

linx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for the nice welcome :)

There's nothing aftermarket on the truck other than a superchips hard flash.

With the engine off, the radio is quiet, as well as with the key on. But, with the key on, I still hear the noise from the fan motor, wipers, and window motors.

With the truck running, it does get louder with the RPM's. It is so loud to begin with, that I can't say it get's extremely loud with the engine RPM's, but I can put the truck in neutral going down the road, and rev it up, and it gets louder.

The antenna is mounted dead center of the top of the cab. The antenna has a triple magnet mount, and I have tried grounding the magnet, but it does no good. The antenna is a 27" shaft single coil Predator 10k. The load is about 2 1/2 ft above teh cab, and the total antenna lenght is 8 ft. I have not tried moving it around much (big magnets) but did try moving around my other 2 antennas before I sold them, to no avail.

Thanks for the help, it's sincerely appreciated. I have a base station at home , and the radio there is so quiet, I've been thinking crazy like either getting rid of the radio or the truck. I just have had the truck since about 2 years old (the company has) and in the past 3 years have racked up about 120k miles, and she's been better to me than most, so I want to stick with it.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok well as i said on the cb site im not much help as mine is dead quiet.but there will be more people comeing by to help you out

linx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang,

I just went outside and tried, and it's hard to tell. I still have some noise with the coax unplugged, but I think this RCI radio may turn itself off more or less with the coax unplugged. It was definatly quieter, but not all gone.

Rob

CHPMustang

Reaction score
If you still get noise with the antenna unplugged then the noise is originating from a powered source(alternator,fuel pump,electric vacuum pump,etc) or the grounding system in the truck has issues.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Well...........I'm no help. My CB is fine but the HF radio is getting hammered buy something. Eight toroids in various places didn't help either.

tbar

linx

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tbar, see I'm just the opposite. My Yaesu HF/VHF is doing just fine. But then again, I keep the squelch turned all the way up to where I don't hear anything but the repeaters, lol. It does have a lot of noise with the squelch down.

CHPMustang: The alternator is new, but the old alternator did it as well, so I'm not sure about that. Unless there's maybe some type of external voltage regulator on these trucks (which I think there may be) that could be causing some type of issue. The fuel pump would not be a problem, b/c it's a diesel and has a mechanical fuel pump. I could see electrical fuel pump, and have even seen people with car stereo's have issue with an electrical fuel pump causing noise. I'm not sure about the vaccume pump. Also, what can I do to help a grounding issue?

Thanks guys for all the help.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interestingly enough w/ all the amps speakers and "add ons" that
ive got in my truck "audio" system ive got ZERO electrical 'noise'

I dont have a single "choke" on any of my components.

Im fairly careful about how i run the wiring...power down one side,
audio signals down the other, but i also know over time ive added
item w/ LESS care...(ipod interface, IR headphone set up for laptop dvd,
gps connections, dc/ac invert & several additional power outlets)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58