Help Needed F-450 radiator

mattski

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have not posted in over a year, sorry. I last posted about my F-250 6.0L - I had purchased a new trailer that was too heavy for my truck (about 17,000# fully loaded with toys when the truck only rated for 10,600lbs.) I decided to go and upgrade to the F450 after test driving it. I loved it from the start, the turning radiaus is awesome, the power steering is so much better than than my '04 F250. I decided that if I was going to keep this truck for 15+ years that for once I would go all out and get the Lariat. Never had a fully loaded vehicle before (I'm in my mid 30's) and I love it BUT - (you were waiting for that Huh?) our first radiator went at 800 miles. I tried to add fluids to continue our boating trip and all the fluid came out onto ground immediately while i was pouring. Since then we have had the truck into different dealerships 5 times - tomorrow we should be getting our 6th radiator installed. Our local dealership, where we bought it, assured us (on the 5th radiator)that it was fixed and would not break again. Of course the manager is now back-peddaling and telling my wife that he never said that. I do not want a new truck, I want mine to stop eating radiators. Who do I talk to at Ford, they have got to be tired of throwing new radiators at my truck, there must be another problem causing this? I have about 20k miles currently, does my warranty only cover radiators to 36K. Is there an after market provider that may have a solution after warranty? Any help would be appreciated.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
there must be another problem causing this?

i would think so. what is actually letting go? is something hitting it? is the radiator support bent somehow? 6 radiators in 20k miles is BS.

mattski

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i would think so. what is actually letting go? is something hitting it? is the radiator support bent somehow? 6 radiators in 20k miles is BS.

none of the dealerships has ever told me that there was any external damage to anything as it would probably be an insurance issue then:dunno

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Some techs are using a die grinder and "hogging out" the top rubber mounts a hair. The thought is that the radiator is being held so rigidly that vibration and minute amounts of flex are breaking the crimps. Thats what my friendly tech told me when I asked if the radiator was something to be concerned about. I had the T venturi fitting done on mine before I picked it up. That is supposed to address the water pump cavitation issue.

mattski

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok - on 6th radiator

ford r&r'd my radiator again today and did the Venturee T recall on it. i picked it up, grabbed my trailer and headed home. after about 40 miles of driving on fwy i heard a loud bang and pulled off. I was angry & called ford towing and didn't even think to check the turbo hose. the tow truk driver was great - after telling him what happened he looked & reconnected the hose. the ford dealership had reattached the turbo hose but did not tighten the clamp. hopefully the T Venturee is the fix otherwise i will ask about "hogging out" the rubber mounts. thanks. Nilson Balcaceres of Balcaceres bros. towing in Norwalk, Ca (LA) was very helpful and nice. THANKS!

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also did the Venturee T recall about 2 weeks ago on my f-350 and now i noticed radiator fluid leaking it shure as hell doesnt look like its purging it looks like its leaking so im taking it in and also my power steering cylinder is leaking alll on the frame on the driverside right next to the radiator fluid just notice that this week funny thing was i called ford and said im bringing it in today and talk to the service manager on what was wrong and was set on bringing it in right away then at the end of the conversation he was like is this the diesel we are talking about and i was like...................uh yea and he said oh cant do that today bring that in first thing in the morning and we will get right on it ......i only got 6,600 mi. on the rig oh brother !

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all ford had was one diesel tech in yesterday and couldnt get to it till today and if my radiator and power steering fluids are leaking like i stated i wont get it back till saturday or monday so i demanded a rental and guess what i got .........a freaking focus ...talk about no respect on the road luckily im leaving on a family trip this morning so i wont need my truck , but come on seriously a FOCUS ...my date yesterday made fun of me because of it thank god i dont own one like what guy pulls chicks and drives a focus , i rest my case !

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that happens every time you get a loaner. Ford can't afford to have a bunch of trucks for loaners. Plus the people who own Focuses won't want to drive a BIG OLD TRUCK for their loaners.

Dave:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64