F550 need help

GATORHIDE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post so thank you all!
I have to get a cab and chassis truck on Monday.. My problem is do I buy a F550 with the 6.4 in it for 28100.00 out the door or do I get the Sterling, Bullet same truck as the ford in stuff on it, has the cummins 6.7 in it for out the door 34000.00
I am putting together my new welding rig. I will be hauling a flat bed I will build it will have about 8500 Lbs in gear on the rig after I am done with bed..
I would ask if you would let me know which one will be more reliable over the long haul I will traveling all over working on welding sites thank you Bear

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well hang tight and let the 6.4 guys get on here. Almost all the new trucks have fuel mileage issues and dpf issues. Incidently what's the opinon on the refuge? Last I saw it was mostly for the cummins.

GATORHIDE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well hang tight and let the 6.4 guys get on here. Almost all the new trucks have fuel mileage issues and dpf issues. Incidently what's the opinon on the refuge? Last I saw it was mostly for the cummins.

Yes so far the cummins is top choice
Boy am I going t have a hard choice to make buy monday I hope these guys come through

Fine69

Reaction score
The Sterling is really just a Dodge with different emblems. From what I've heard, the Dodge guys are having a lot of problems with the 6.7. I haven't heard too many horror stories with the 6.4. My vote would be for the F550. But, I'm biased.;tu Welcome to the site!

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah gator forgot to welcome you to the site. ;W7 You can stick around even if you do get the cummins but we won't talk to you. :tounge

GATORHIDE

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
man I would of thought I would of had a whole bunch of responses to this post
I guess the ford crew is not much on trying to help a guy out

450psd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Are you doing a lot of travel on back roads? I'm guessing so cuz your getting welding gear. As someone mentioned below, the billet sterling is a dodge 4500/5500 with different badging. To me it still has a dodge front suspension... I'd go Ford. I talked to my brother in-law who has had his fair share of welding rigs. He will never go to any other truck besides Ford. Also look at what most welding and oil field companies run... FORD. There has to be a reason. They are tough, if not the toughest. As for the motor cummins has to be top choice, but there havn't been too many problems with the 6.4 besides people getting poor milage. all depends what gearing. Both trucks are great choices....... but go Ford lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64