Fifth wheel or Gooseneck?

Discussion in 'Towing & Transportation' started by 01yellerCobra, Jan 25, 2016.

1. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

Since getting the 250 I've noticed I'm looking around at travel trailers a little more. I know eventually w're going to get a toy hauler. It'll be for a couple quads. Nothing to big. At first I was thinking I need to get a fifth wheel, but it seems that the fifth wheel and gooseneck hitches are rated at the same capacity. I'm sure I'd like the gooseneck more since I like the idea of flipping a ball over and having my bed open. The down side I'm assuming would be turning radius since I have a short bed.

I guess really I'm asking what did you go with and what were your reasons?

2. roble1

roble1 roble1

I personally prefer a fifth wheel over a gooseneck. Goosenecks are fine for flat bed hauling but when pulling a camper with all that wind resistance its a much smoother ride when its a fifth wheel. I had a b&w companion fifth wheel hitch that fit in the turnover ball on my old truck, expensive but works awesome, only takes about two minutes the take the hitch out if you need to haul something in the truck bed. In my new truck I have a reese sliding fifth wheel hitch, I liked the b&w hitch better.

3. JLDickmon

JLDickmon ursus combibo

I don't have anything against a gooseneck. But if you're looking for a toy hauler with living quarters, you may end up with a fiver because a goose is a little higher profile.

4. WD40

WD40 Full Access Member

As of right now this is the best setup you can buy, just my 2 cents worth. Not cheap, but all I have seen work great and ride better than a goosenecks.
    Doug

5. BIG JOE

BIG JOE Full Access Member

x2 on a FW type hitch. I have a Reece Elite.. pull 2 pins.. release 4 lock levers.. remove the whole set-up.. yer back to full pick-up bed.

Also.. a Gooseneck can be a PIA when trying to line-up, to hook-up.. without some sort of line up set-up, especially if you have any kinda bed box.. in pick-up bed. Flatbed.. no issues.

What Mr. Dickmon said too.

Joe

6. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

I saw that one and was considering it as well. I didn't think about the lower profile. That's why I ask these things.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk