Finding more soft spots.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well finally made it camping. Went to two nice parks. One had ticks but after the wife found them all in are camp area the rest of us were ok...LOL. The other had a spring and good fishing. I did find another soft spot in the slide wall at a corner. So I have to figure out the fix too. Maybe picking up another camper for a 1K need work on the front but it's 30' and has a bunk setup in the back. Not a 5ther too.

Last edited:

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Do most RV's need a lot of work like this? I am pretty close to paying off the trailer and will be picking up a C class when I am done. However I am super scared I am going to get something I will have to dump a ton of money in. Which if true then I can't race. Defeating the reason I need a RV. :dunno:dunno

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, This is stuff that could have been prevented if the other owner had maintained the camper right.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Even if the rig has some soft spots, if it has aluminum sides it's a pretty easy fix. The front and rear of my fiver had some major league wood rot, removing the aluminum, finding the rotted timber, and replacing with new wood only took me about a week on each end. I used glue and screws versus the factory staples, the rig is stronger than when it left the Jayco factory in Middlebury, Indiana. I keep after the caulking and the roof seals, this rig is comfortable enough to live in full time, which I am doing, though not by choice.

New or old, maintenance is important.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My camper is one sheet of glass, so I have to fix it from the inside.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I looked at a 1993 28' Skamper 5er with a slide out. Had some rot in the rear kitchen in a bottom cupbord/closet. The floor was bad and part of the wall. It needs some work in other areas as well. Has a super slide which is like 14'. Couch/dinette area. Everything works on it except sometimes the slide switch doesnt work so you got to manually crank it out. Its a friend of mines and he was throwin in the brand new gooseneck adapter and a 6500watt diesel generator that has a fuel leak. all for $4800. Tires look really good. Is this a decent deal??

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When buying a used camper, trailer or fifthwheel, always plain on
buying new tires and packing the wheel bearing on it. Check the
date of Mfg on the sidewall. Tires will look good, but if they are
over 5 years old go ahead and put new tires on it.
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When buying a used camper, trailer or fifthwheel, always plain on
buying new tires and packing the wheel bearing on it. Check the
date of Mfg on the sidewall. Tires will look good, but if they are
over 5 years old go ahead and put new tires on it.
Doug

X2 on what Doug said, fer shur. ;tu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64