First time installing a system

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 4300 watt JL Audio 4 channel amp and 2 15" subs in a box for $100...couldnt pass that deal up. I got a wiring kit with 5 gauge wiring with a 100 amp inline fuse. It also came with a capacitor. My main concern is burning up my altenator. Not too sure if it could handle that load:dunno Right now, I got a 800watt inverter (hasn't ran anything bigger than a laptop) on a 20 amp fuse, guages on 2 seperate 10 amp fuses, and my auxillary lights on a 15 or 20 amp fuse. All of those are on toggle switches in the cab. Should I/need to upgrade the altenator??? I saw someone on here post a link on an altenator they got out of california. I would be interested in getting that or if any of ya'll have any suggetions. If ya'll think I'll be good with the stock altenator.. GREAT:sweet But I just want to make sure.

Also the battery clamp the kit came with (has places for accessory connections in it) has small connections for the main wire....guess it was for a gas engine battery:rolleyes: Any suggestions on how to hook the 5 gauge wire to the terminal?

THANKS!!!

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And how do I tell how many amps my alternator is putting out now? Do I have to take it to an autoparts store?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amp drives the speakers, not the other way around. In other words, a larger amp is going to put too much power to the speakers and blow them. A speaker capable of handling 150 watts being run at 150 watts is the as good as it gets. You're using 100% of what the speaker is capable of. If you're worried about pushing your amp too hard, turn down the volume.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I think you should be fine. In high school I had a friend that ran 8 15 inch subs and 2400 watts and only had 1 alternator. He did have a couple of batteries and capacitors in the back though. In a 85 Monte Carlo SS! No back seats.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should be fine. In high school I had a friend that ran 8 15 inch subs and 2400 watts and only had 1 alternator. He did have a couple of batteries and capacitors in the back though. In a 85 Monte Carlo SS! No back seats.

Yea, I've decided to trade the 15's for some smaller speakers because the 15's wont fit behind the seat as it is.

Reaction score
The biggest speaker you can fit with a good sealed box are 12 w3's by jl audio. With the 99-03 trucks you can move the seat forward 3 inches to fit the box. I'm not at home right now so i can't give the measurements for the box.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest speaker you can fit with a good sealed box are 12 w3's by jl audio. With the 99-03 trucks you can move the seat forward 3 inches to fit the box. I'm not at home right now so i can't give the measurements for the box.

Yea, Clint posted up some picks of how he flipped the mounting brackets to give him more room behind the seat.I 'd like to try to avoid that... I'm suppose to be trading the 15's for a pro-box, for 2 12's, to go behind the seat.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64