Flat tire solutions anyone?

olesmokey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When I hunt I dry camp with my 20 ft. Mallard and pull it over logging roads for not usually more than 10 miles. One trip I got two flats on the trailer. Fortunately I had a good spare, a combination battery jumper / tire inflator and several fix a flats. I dont drive fast, only about 20 mph on these roads. Anybody have any recommendations on tire additives or just better tires. Trailer has trailer tires on it. Should or can I put automotive tires on? Or just green slime them. Ive never used the stuff before.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using a set of BF Goodrich "Commercial" in a LT235/85R16E (80 PSI) on my 35' 5er toyhauler for the past 5 years with no problems at all. My trailer axle is flipped for off-highway use and we make several trips a year off-highway with it. Seem to be good tires if you want to try something in an LT.

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additives/green slime work but are made for small punctures like nails. I imagine there are not a lot of nails on the logging roads, you're probably dealing with bigger punctures/tears? I put 205/75/15 automotive tires on my camper and they work fine, but I dont think they are more flat-proof. Maybe a narrower truck tire? I saw a site for demo derby stuff and they were using 7.50x15 14 ply steer tires to avoid flats. I also remember seeing some military surplus tires but I think they were all 16.5" wheel size. Might want to check craigslist for stuff like that. Worst case scenario you could get a couple more spares. Good luck!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .03 would be, and like RandyH sez.. yul need to go to 16" wheels.. then whatever size LT tires, 10 or 12 ply that will fit the body clearances and the distance between the trailer axle(s).

With 13, 14 or 15 inch wheels.. you are VERY limited on tires that have any build strength to them. 16" wheels opens up a Whole Nuther selection of tire build options.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
A 20 foot Mallard is going to be lucky to have 14" tires on it, let alone 16's.. my 22 ft Wilderness (Mallard twin) had 13's..

Yeah, carry additional spares. Best advice I could give you.

olesmokey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It has some GoodyearMarathon for trailer use only 205R14 4ply on now 2ply polycord 2ply steelcord. Doesnt mention any belts. Hey I think we have a trailer boneyard nearby. Might find some spares there. More stuff to carry. My friend welded a big Protech toolbox onto my rear bumper frame thats where my spare rides and spare fuel and tools and generator..mmm might actually have to leave some stuff at home.. Thanks for the advice gang..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW ? GoodYear had troubles with earlier Marathon TT tires. Those tires suffered Sidewall failure and Tread separation, for no obvious reasons. They fixed that with an "Improved" tire. That TT tire has an S, inside a circle, on the sidewall.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No S inside a circle on these tires. Thanks

You might check with yer local GoodYear Store.. ? They replaced all 5 of mine, on a 5th wheel I had.. No Charge.. after 2 failed. (in one day)

They'll want to see the tires.

olesmokey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You might check with yer local GoodYear Store.. ? They replaced all 5 of mine, on a 5th wheel I had.. No Charge.. after 2 failed. (in one day)

They'll want to see the tires.

Nobody wanted to bother with tires that were over 10 years old ( go figure) I found a nice tough Kumho radial for trailers only load range D, for about 125 bucks apiece, Thanks for the help. Discount Tire and Tire Rack big help..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64