flushed sail panel tweeter mounts, components install, dailup run and hide

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, here's the system specs:

current:

sony headunit, autotek 900.4 stealth series amp, ED 11ov.2 sub in a custom box.

in progress:

CDT EF-61 comps in the fronts, peel n' seal roofing material as sound deadening on the back cab wall. this is gonna be it for the truck stereo.

I used PVC pipe that fit the size of my tweeter cups, and cut it to teh angle i wanted.

so....here's a pic by pic of the tweet mounts.:

IMG_2231.jpg

take the hole saw to them for the PVC:
IMG_2233.jpg

basic shape:
IMG_2234.jpg

both glued on:
IMG_2237.jpg

apply the semi-rigid liquid plastic, called Duramix 4040 ($36 shipped from levinauotparts.com)
IMG_2242.jpg

here i got a little lazy with the pic taking. before this next pic, i chucked a sanding drum into my drill press and spent about 1 hour on each mount making the basic shape i wanted. after that came a coat of bondo, much sanding, another coat of bondo....to this pic:
IMG_2245.jpg

ready for paint:
IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

I painted them with DupliColor truck bed coating, available from wallyworld:

IMG_2265.jpg

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mounted up in the truck:

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

next up was the crossovers and running new wire to the doors:

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

i'm still waiting on my speaker adapter plates to come in before I can finish it up. I also want to put a little sound deadening on the back wall, so that'll come tomorrow. look for more pics tomorrow night.

also, unrelated....

you think you've got humidity? this is the chuck of my drill press, indoors:

IMG_2243.jpg

enjoy. if you have any q's, let me know.

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Nice job Paul. I noticed while test driving a 2008 F450 a few weeks ago, that they have factory mounted tweets in the mirror bolt covers too.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotta say both you guys did a better job than the factory
has done on the 2008 sail panels !

Im inspired ;)

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MUCH better use of PVC pipe than the last time I saw you build something out of PVC!!!! :tounge

Looks good man!

i hate you...haha. we need some flipoff2's around here

Nice job. Here's a pic of my custom tweeters, I sanded a little more to a smoother surface and dry sprayed the last coat to match the factory texture:

Bart

damn, i like yours better. I had mine sanded really well, but decided to go with the really textured paint. I'm kind of regretting it now, its a little bit too much texture i think. I like your tweeter location better too. I went the direction I did because I was worried about mount depth, and then i realized that tweeters are like 1/2" deep. oh well.

Last edited:

4wdbeast

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i hate you...haha
damn, i like yours better. I had mine sanded really well, but decided to go with the really textured paint. I'm kind of regretting it now, its a little bit too much texture i think. I like your tweeter location better too. I went the direction I did because I was worried about mount depth, and then i realized that tweeters are like 1/2" deep. oh well.

Don't be too harsh on yourself and don't hate me too much :)
If you check my photo series, you will see that I messed up my first set of sail panels. The direction of the tweeters is cross aimed at the head of passenger/driver.

Bart

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr