Help Needed Folding Bed Cover Advice

JRJ04

Reaction score
In the market now for a folding bed cover. I've looked at quite a few and not sure what direction to go. I currently have a low profile toolbox filled with stuff and really hate to lose that storage space. I know there are some covers out there that offer integrated tool boxes (bak flip has the bak box and fold a cover has the personal caddy), but have seen mixed reviews on them. Most have said if you have anything with any substantial weight to it (i.e. The b&w hitch that is probably 15 lbs), the box will start to sag...which would be disappointing given that they cost an extra ~$400. My main concerns are security (having a lock is ideal vs relying on the tailgate...have also heard you can break into ones that just latch with the tail gate), convenience (like to be able to access the front of the bed vs. having to unfold the entire thing from the back) and leak prevention (realizing the only way you'll get a perfect seal is if you get a bed cap, which I don't want). So, here's what I've looked at. I'd like to hear your opinions and experiences if you have any...

1. Bak Flip G2/Fibermax/HD with optional Bak Box

What's I like: Seems to seal pretty well and not leak. By far one of those most popular ones out there. Low profile install is almost like it's not even there. They offer the bak box, but curious if it's worth the money and you still have to unfold the entire thing to get to it.

What I don't like: No lock...have heard you can fish in there with a coat hanger and pull the cable to flip it right up. Have to completely unfold to get to the front of the bed.

2. Undercover Flex

What I like: Very similar to the Bak Flip, has less panels so would take up more room when all 3 (vs 4 on the G2) are folded flat. Seems to seal pretty well and not leak.

What I don't like: Similar to G2, no lock, have to completely unfold to get to the front of the bed.

3. Fold a Cover G4 Elite with optional Personal Caddy

What I like: From a functional standpoint, this seems to hit all the points for me. I like that it locks separately, I like that the front compartment opens and locks separately from the back. I like the idea of the personal Caddy as it is bigger than the bak box but again the price and durability worries me.

What I don't like: There seems to be a lot of parts with this one, meaning there's more chances for stuff to get out of what/break/go wrong. The fact that the rails sit on top of the bed rails seems like it isn't as secure and doesn't seal as well. I also am not crazy about how it sticks up above the bed. Reviews seems to be hit or miss. As for the personal caddy...it's pretty expensive again and am worried it would sag with the weight of tools/gear.

4. Extang Encore

What I like: Sleek design, sticks up some but not at noticeable as the fold a cover. Seems like there are very few parts, thus install and ongoing maintenance should be simple. This seems to be the easiest cover to remove as well. Finally, like that there are two separate locks and the front panel opens up separately where I could have a small box up at the front to store tools etc.

What I don't like: read lots of reviews that this one leaks at the hinges on each fold which is discouraging. Also the price...this one is over $1,000 and substantially similar to the others.

Let the discussion begin!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had one before, if we sale the fifth wheel I will get one then.
Doug

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry you haven't gotten any more information. I wonder if @carid would have some information. I think they sell at least some of these covers, and seem to be a good source of info on other products they have shown on here......

Ziefer92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose you already have decision on tonneau cover. My cousin have the Bakflip G2 for over a year now and never had much problem, just a little leak on the bed rear passenger side due to minor dent but easily fixed. Some reviews are confusing, he looked for another truck that have those covers which help him decide.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Leaning towards the BakFlip F1. Seems to be the most heavy duty in terms of latch system, dent resistance and overall quality. Gotta find a deal on it now!

Meltdownblitz

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way, I wanted to be able to open the cover from the front, have a lock, hard cover and such and After extensive research I decided to go for the extang encore. Love how easy the cover is to install and also to remove, can access front of bed as well as back. Plan to pair mine with truxedo tonneau mate toolbox and amp research bed extender for cargo management. Just waiting till I can swallow almost 2 grand.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I ended up going with the BakFlip F1. Great fit and finish, but its leaking pretty bad. Currently in the process of making a warranty claim so we'll see what happens.