Ford 2N/8N 12 Volt Starter Solenoid

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a 12 volt starter solenoid for my 1947 Ford 2N Tractor. I have tried many of the parts stores in McKinney, TX (OReilly, AutoZone, Tractor Supply, and others) and cannot find one exactly like the one on the tractor. It is round (of course) and the mounting brackets are directly opposite each other (like ears on each side of it), (in the shape of a thermostat gasket), then there are two connectors on the front for the starter cable and the ignition cable to attach. The positive battery cable is attached along with the mounting bolts. Everything I have found have different mounting brackets. Tractor Supply showed me one yesterday, which I bought, for a 2000/3000/4000, but it was different. Took it back today and showed them the picture from my phoneFord 2N Starter Solenoid.JPG

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the last post Wayne. Good luck.
Doug

Last edited:

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this one http://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1ECMWDNYH6H5WN2DW10C

But it looks like a starter switch for your year Ford tractor. A NAPA store out in a farming town might be able to help you. I will do some more looking. Didn't find anything on NAPA.
Doug

Thanks Doug. I checked our local NAPA store but the guys didn't find anything either. We also have a local parts store who keeps lots of tractor parts. They had one but it didn't match. I showed them the picture that I posted above but nothing matched. Trying to get it running without taking it to a local shop but still may have to do that. The guy who works on it is really good.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get a picture of it pulled out?
Does it look like the dB electric one above?

Sent from my *******-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I believe it is the one like on the DB Electric site. The connectors on the DB part are exactly like the one on the tractor. I do believe there is a starter button on the other end. The main starter button is on the drivetrain in front of the transmission lever. I believe it connects to a rod that presses the button on the other piece. As you all may have figured out, I'm not as mechanically inclined as I should be. (LOL!!!!) I'll wait until this weekend to look into it further, as we're supposed to have heavy rains (already having tornadoes in the area tonight) in the Dallas-Ft Worth area. We may receive as much as 6 inches of rain this week.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wayne, does your tractor start using the gearshift? I have not worked on one of them in so long. Where's RoyBoy when we need him. LOL
Doug

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wayne, does your tractor start using the gearshift? I have not worked on one of them in so long. Where's RoyBoy when we need him. LOL
Doug

Doug, the gearshift has to be in neutral. The starter button is in front of the gearshift. I was trying to start it every two weeks or so to keep everything working okay, but we had a spell of bad weather awhile back and I neglected it. Now it won't even jump off, even after I put a new battery on it. This weekend I'm going to pull the starter switch in the above picture out and I believe it does have a button that's hidden. I believe there's a rod from the button in front of the shifter that connects to the one on the outside. Just my thoughts. If a new switch doesn't work, I'll take it to my local guy who has worked on it before. Actually I'll probably do that anyway so he can get it going again He's pretty cheap and good. I may end up selling it since it's hardly used. We take it to our property in Louisiana to cut grass and other things.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58