Ford Parts on Ebay

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
I've been noticing the volume of Ford parts that are on Ebay. I'm just wondering how these guys are getting these parts and selling them so cheap. I see CPS's on there everyday. They have been sold from anywhere from $36. to $90. I just got a brand new fuel filter housing for under $60. ($300+ item) I guess that makes me guilty, but come on when you can save that kind of coin it's hard to turn down. First thing that comes to mind when you see parts this cheap is of course something shady, but it's not like they are being sold out of someones trunk in the mall parking lot (hey buddy, check this out). This is one of the most public venues around. This kind of thing can't be good for Dale and others in his line of bus.
Just Curious.

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I know exactly what your saying. I purchased a CPS for $35 on Ebay & then felt guilty because the more I thought about it, it could have been stolen. The guy was selling tons of CPS's. Could have been a guy working in a Ford dealership parts dept orderng them and selling them online. I have ZERO interest in supporting theft. I've been looking at take off wheels lately and have been looking at specific sellers that are in the aftermarket wheel business.

Not much I can do about it, but if it looks fishy, I don't even bother to bid anymore. I sleep better this way.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The mark-up at Ford dealers would shock you. I have bought a few spare CPS's, two sets of glow plugs and many other Motorcraft parts off of ebay for a fraction of the cost at the dealer. I have no doubt that the seller on ebay is not making a big profit but they are making a little profit. The dealer on the other hand makes a huge profit (like more than double) when they sell parts.

There are other things to look at. 1. Dale offers excellent customer service which is very rare on ebay. 2. Dale and other Ford dealers have much more overhead than a ebay seller so they have to charge a little more. 3. You can very easily get ripped off on ebay.

I take my chances on ebay from time to time but for anything I need right away or anything more than a few dollars I stick with reputable dealers like Dale.

BlueRidgeRunner

Ford Parts Guy
Reaction score
Granted there is a good profit margin BUT the competitive market usually keeps it in check. I sell Ford parts. On some parts we do have a 60-80% margin however we usually only make a overall average of about 28% between retail, wholesale, warranty, and internal business. Quite a large amount of Ford Parts only carry a 36-40% profit margin. I usually sell CPSs wholesale at around $110. Believe me when I tell you I am not making a killing. Ford Motor Company makes the bigger profit here.

As for the stuff you see on e-Bay. I am sure that quite a few of those CPSs among other parts that are parts that are billed to a repair order and never installed on a customer's vehicle. This is called warranty fraud and it will get a dealership shut down in a hurry. It will also cost the seller his job. Pretty stupid if you ask me. There is always a risk of employees stealing from their employer. It is sad but true. :(

There are dealers that sell stuff on e-Bay. Usually it is stuff that is obsolete or hard to move. My store will be putting some take off tires and rims on e-Bay soon. :)

Not all dealers are in the business to rip people off. Yes we have a LOT of overhead. There are quite a few instances where we are cheaper that the jobber stores on parts. Remember that you also get what you pay for when you buy parts.

I now will put on my flame proof suit! ;)

Last edited:

Ggg

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
BRR; No flame intended toward you. My local stealer has jacked his prices up so bad the only thing I get from them now are part numbers so I can buy the parts elsewhere. A cheap, but % of increase accurate example is; 1 year ago the engine drain plug copper washer was $0.95 each. After the dealer was bought out, and prices restructured after 1/05 the exact same part went up to over $9.00 for one copper drain plug washer. I do not condone selling/buying stolen merchandise, but that is not the only definition of a crook. In my opinion the dealer in my case is just as guilty, but in their case its price gouging.

BlueRidgeRunner

Ford Parts Guy
Reaction score
Ggg said:
BRR; No flame intended toward you. My local stealer has jacked his prices up so bad the only thing I get from them now are part numbers so I can buy the parts elsewhere. A cheap, but % of increase accurate example is; 1 year ago the engine drain plug copper washer was $0.95 each. After the dealer was bought out, and prices restructured after 1/05 the exact same part went up to over $9.00 for one copper drain plug washer. I do not condone selling/buying stolen merchandise, but that is not the only definition of a crook. In my opinion the dealer in my case is just as guilty, but in their case its price gouging.

I agree. There are a few dealers that operate that way. Its amazing how it shows up in their bottom line or lack of? :( Treat people fair and they will buy from you. Rip them off and they will put you out of business. Like I said. The market will take care of them. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58