Forum "Read" mark problems

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Is there an issue with whatever the site is using to track read posts? I keep getting posts I have read (even multiple times) re-marked as unread. I have done the cache thing so that isnt it.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Seems to be working fine for me. Were you logged in when you read them the first time? I sometimes read posts without logging in and when I do get around to logging in the posts come up as unread.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I find that if I use my "back arrow" to go back to the forum list rather than clicking on the forum heading, it will leave the post marked as unread.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I leave myself logged in always so I dont have to mess with it. I too use the heading links rather than the back arrow. I have even used the Mark This Forum Read tool and it still will even mark unread a thread to which I was the last person to post. Kind of odd. Not any big deal but it is something that has just started in the last several days.

Is the Read status database driven or cookie? I assume DB because if I read a post at work it is marked read when I get home.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
Update

I just noticed a pattern and ran a test:

I went through the forums (because, once again they were marked as Unread when I had actually read them) and one by one marked each forum as Read using the tool "Mark this Forum Read". I closed my browser, opened a new one, and, yep, they are all marked as unread again.

Is that tool a session based marking or what? It is kind of irritating to have to wade through posts I have already read because I cant tell read from unread.

It is not user error, I am a Microsoft and Macromedia certified developer so I can assure you it isnt just my misunderstanding.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Heres the settings................

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type
This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

*Inactivity/Cookie Based
Database (no automatic forum marking)
Database (automatic forum marking)

So here you can see it is dictated by inactivity and is Cookie Based.

Time-Out for Cookie;
This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before any unread posts are marked read. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity.

Set at 900 seconds.

And here you can see that if you remain inactive for 900 seconds, you are considered "inactive" and posts will be marked as read. Using the "mark forum read" tool will (or should:dunno ) do the same.

Is anybody else having troubles?

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
But what is turning the Unread markers back on even though I have read them?

try my test and see if it does it on your's too.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
hmmm, Im on a government provided laptop. I'll try mine at home tonight and see what happens. Maybe it is some odd setting here that I cant find.

Thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Tx_Atty said:
hmmm, Im on a government provided laptop. I'll try mine at home tonight and see what happens. Maybe it is some odd setting here that I cant find.

Thanks
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, its the gooberment spyware homeland security patriot act secret squirrel stuff............. you're a guinnea pig for the program. They're surely onto ya now...........:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64