Front hub question...

Scot

;()
Reaction score
My hubs are the auto/lock type. I have the symptom where going to 4x4 sends the HVAC to defrost. I understand that means a vacuum leak. But my other issue is this: when the hubs are set to auto (no vacuum applied) shouldn't the front half shafts NOT spin? Mine DO spin on auto and appear to be stuck engaged. Would I be correct to assume with 180K on the truck that new hubs are in order along with finding my vacuum leak? Is Warn the best aftermarket option? If I went with manual lockers, no vacuum is needed correct?

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
A common problem on these electronic shift on the fly 4X4 systems is the vacuum solenoid located next to the passenger side battery on the inner fender. In most cases it has a rectangular white top. $90 spent at the dealership parts department and ten minutes of your time to swap components usually solves the problem of non-operating ESOF. Try this before you spend lots of money converting to manual hubs. There's probably nothing wrong with your ESOF system other than a bad vacuum solenoid.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Your front axles should not be engaged in the auto position and the inside switch turned off.

The hubs are vacuum applied spring released....they shouldn't be engaged. Pull the hub cap off, remove the snap ring, pull the locking hub off. Spray it with some lub and work the manual selector back and forth.....reinstall on the truck and see if the axle/knuckle turns by hand. Replace the locking hub unit if it doesn't free up.

Tbar

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll be cleaning them this week & dealing with my vacuum problem after figuring our if I can save them. Tinkering with them for a couple minutes today, i noticed the dials move far too easily. They used to be a PITA and now they are super easy. I'm thinking the last time I used 4x4 something inside the dials may have failed.

Always appreciate everyone's help!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr