Front Suspension and Steering Questions

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Truck 2003 Excursion 4x4 6.0, D50 3.73 Monobeam Front axle, Sterling 10.50 3.73LS Full Float Rear Axle.

My questions:

1st. The Track Bar. It mounts to the frame with a long "dog-bone" mount with bushings, I can see these bushings are worn and need to be replaced. I can, while lying under the side of the truck, and move the track bar side-to-side in the mounts in the front axle at least 1 inch, maybe more side to side. There is also some up and down play at the bushings in the dog-bones, but as stated, they are worn and will clunk in the right conditions.....

2nd, Drag Link/Tie Rod. I have a "tie rod end" at the pitman arm, this end is attached to the drag link that goes toward the passenger side knuckle. About 3-4 inches before the knuckle, is another joint, this is a non adjustable, and appears to be non removeable joint. The tie rod then connects to the passenger side knuckle with a non adjustable end, and the tie rod connects to the drivers side knuckle with a tie rod end with an adjustment sleave.

Earlier in the year I hit a chuck-hole, the one that broke the drivers front shock. Shortly after I hit the hole, a pop/clunk developed in the front when the passenger side suspension cycles. I did another visual inspection and found the following last evening. Keep in mind this truck has ~110,000 miles on it, and all the front parts are original, except the ball joints, brakes and shocks. The shocks were replaced with Bilsteins earlier this year.

The steering stabilizer shock is shot, has not been replaced, has a bit of play in it. If I grab the drag link and roll the bar forward and back, it will rotate on the joint at the pitman arm and the tie rod, the drag link will clunk in one direction, as if it is hitting the tie rod. All the joints appear to be tight, and when the truck is sitting on the ground and the steering wheel is turned, everything moves as it should. While driving the truck, the steering is tight, it does not wonder, no death wobble, no bump steer. It is still aligned, I can remove my hands from the wheel at any speed and it continues straight downt the road. I am trying to get any ideas what it may be.... this is my family vehicle and do not want anything that can cause any problems to go unattended......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64