Fuel Filter Warning!!!

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For you 6.0L owners, this is a valid warning, please read:

DO NOT USE the Purolator Fuel Filter F55590 that is spec'ed for the 6.0 (and probally the 6.4) PSD. This filter DOES NOT HAVE THE WATER BLOCK MEMBRANE on the primary (HFCM) filter.

I stopped to pick up my Motorcraft FD-4616 Fuel Filter kit from Advance (Which was the last one in my area, Advance is not going to carry the Motorcraft Filter kit any longer) I pulled them out of the box to look at them, and the Secondary Filter looked a bit different thatn I remember (I thought it snapped into the lid like the others do, it doesn't). So I asked if they had one of the other brands in-stock so I could compair the secondary filters. The clerk looked up, and pulled the Purolator Fuel Filter Kit F55590 which is what is spec'ed for the 6.0. I pulled both filters from the Purolator box, and the seconday filters looked the same. But the Primary (larger filter that is located in the HFCM on the frame) was just the bare corrugated filter medium, there was no water block membrane... in the application picture it shows the membrane as it should have...... I have personally held the filter in my hand..... there is no membrane. I would not use this filter unless I was stranded and it was an emergency. From now on I am going to goto my local IH Truck Dealer and get the filter kit 1847170C93 (This is the kit for a VT275 4.5L V-6 engine, has both filters, if you ask for a fuel filter for a VT365 you will only get the secondary engine mounted filter) for $40 instead of the $50 from Advance, or $80 from the dealer. Just wanted to let everyone know, with the importance of the filter.... plus, it you roll into the dealer with the Purolator filter that does not have the water block membrane, they will VOID the Warranty!!!! If you must use the Purolator filter, look at it and see if it has the membrane.....

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem.... I am very finicky about my filters..... I will ONLY use Motorcraft or IH Filters.... I know the Purolator is not the only one.... if you look at the WIX filter for the 6.0 (33899) in the picture it shows it does not have the membrane.... The Napa Filter FIL 3899 (which is a WIX) does not have the membrane either..... I am not sure what aftermarket company has the membrane. It this case a FRAM.... (I know the 4 letter F-word) may have it(It shows in the picture and has: Fuel/Water Coalescer Cart. in the description).... I have read, at least on the Oil Filter, the Motorcraft and Fram are the exact same filter made by Racor....(comparing the 2 they have the exact same markings on the filter itself (patent #, spec #) on the Fram and Motorcraft.... One just has a Fram Part Number printed on the cap end, and the other has nothing...... Not sure if it was something that someone did, or if it came that way... but looking in a Motorcraft oil filter box, the filter itself had Fram Filter ******X printed on the cap end of the filter....... makes one wonder......

My personal feeling on thes filters..... If it doesn't say Motorcraft to IH (International/Navistar) on the box..... and the Primary Filter does not have the membrane, it DOES NOT get installed!!!!!

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the NAPA Proselect 23899 fuel filter kit. It has the water membrane. I have set it and a Motorcraft kit side by side and measured both. They are identical.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info..... I have not had them in-hand..... I was looking at the pics of those. Glad you can confirm the NAPA Proselect 23899 has the membrane....

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's like when someone says the Motorcraft oil filter is the same as a Fram oil filter. I didn't believe it until I went to WallyWorld and put them side by side. Even the numbers printed on the top of the filter were the same. I have compared the MC and Purolator blue oil filters side by side and they two are identical. I believe the Purolator PL-45515 oil filter ibethesda equivalent if not better filter than the MC filter.

I have also put an International fuel filter kit # 1847170C93 in comparison to the MC and Napa preselect. All 3 are identical. International was $38 at Navistar dealer, Napa was same price as International after I told him what I paid at Navistar. Ford dealer wanted $78.
Needless to say Napa is local to me and supports my hometown tax base.

Some people swear by the name Motorcraft and will have nothing else.

Last edited:

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information..... in this case I am not stuck on the Motorcraft name..... I would use any that were the correct filter.... in this case the MC/Ford/IH/NAPA Pro Select/and Fram...... with the others out there that do not have the water block, I was trying to give a warning to not use something that could cause damage to the injectors.

The Fuel and Oil filters, in this case is one of the few times that I would actually use a Fram, since it is identical, down to being manufactured by RACOR, as the MC/Ford/IH ones. Most of the time, I would not use Fram unless it was the only option.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information..... in this case I am not stuck on the Motorcraft name..... I would use any that were the correct ....... Most of the time, I would not use Fram unless it was the only option.

I will use a Fram cartridge but not a Fram can filter. I've heard too many bad things about the Fram can filters and the possible Hazards to your engine if they come apart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr