Fuel mileage. Whats normal?

Discussion in '99+ 7.3L PowerStroke Engine & Drivetrain' started by ProXJC, Sep 13, 2012.

1. ProXJC

ProXJC SDD Junior Member

I'm currently getting 13-15 mpg's with my 7.3. Seems Years ago I got 15-17 and 19 on one tank. Truck has bully dog six position, k & n air filter, banks exhaust, 3.73 gears 285/75 tires. Just wondering if I should get a better tuner, intake or what?

2. Tman123

Tman123 That One Guy

I get about 15 to 18 MPG depending on how heavy my foot is. And all I have is a superchips, 4" MBRP Turbo back exhaust and I'm running 285/75 tires with 4.10 gears.

Travis

3. Tail_Gunner

Tail_Gunner CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.

I was getting 16 to 18 highway with my old 99.
    Check your doughnut gaskets on the up pipes for leaks.
    Soot streaks coming out between the babies butt "Y" collector and the top end of the up pipes are indications of a leak. It is often overlooked as a cause for lack of power and mileage.

4. BIG JOE

BIG JOE Full Access Member

X2 on what Kent said.

I get 16/18 'round town, 18/20 highway.. empty. 12'ish towing. (6 speed manual though)

A dose of 2 cycle oil, and/or Diesel Clean (grey jug) can help.. but it's yer Right Foot that has the biggest impact.. on MPG's.

Try keeping yer cruising RPM's under 2000 for a tank full ? (kindofa training aid.. for learning how to control yer right foot ;))

Joe

5. JLDickmon

JLDickmon ursus combibo

get rid of the tires and go 235/85r16, and you'll take a fuel economy increase to the bank.

6. CHPMustang

CHPMustang Senior Member

When our fuel went ULSD back in 2006? the MPG's on my Excursion took a nose dive,it gets 13-15mpg around town and maybe 18 on the highway and I baby the heck out of it too.

7. Frankenstien

Frankenstien Frankestien

Just convince yourself...... any thing over 12 is a bonus.... when you use that theory, you'll be astonded at the excellent fuel economy your ride gets. :-D
    :sly

8. ProXJC

ProXJC SDD Junior Member

I checked the donuts on the up pipes and I do not see any soot gathered around them. However when I spray some soapy water on them they bubble instantly. This may be a factor. Has anyone changed them before? Does the Turbo need to be pulled in order to change them?

9. Racinghcr

Racinghcr Racinghcr

Take off the factory muffler and run a straight exhaust. Make sure your tires are up to highest pressure acceptable and add a larger exhaust tube from the turbo to the straight exhaust--this should pick up both power and a couple more MPGs! PS-Don't take off too fast--Good Luck proXJC!

10. JLDickmon

JLDickmon ursus combibo

I'd like to blame that for mine, too.

Chipping mine helped, went from 11/13 to 15/19+