Fuel storage

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Now that diesel is $2.07 here I was thinking about filling up my 500 gallon tank for summer use. My plan was to keep buying at the station to fill my truck and keep the 500 gal. for later if (when) fuel goes up in price. Last year I did it with 300 gal. but used it up in a reasonally short time. It is 2% bio so will that settle out over time and what if any additives should I ad if I end up keeping this fuel for 6 months or so? It is a sealed tank with a pressure vented cap.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2% bio provided it meets the ASTM spec will not settle out over time.

For storing it for 6 months you need to do nothing more to preserve the fuel. The 2500Gal AST we have at work gets filled every 6 months or so

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I had 110 gals of red diesel for two years that I used in my tractor. I kept a fuel stabilizer in it and twice drained a little off the bottom to get rid of the water.

It also went through a fuel/water separator before being pumped in to the tractor.

Tbar

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I put two 80 oz. diesel service grey bottles in that I got at avanced auto for $8.50 a jug. It's supposed to help with long term storage according to the instructions. Diesels still going down so I should have waited a little longer but Its just a gamble that it will go back up.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58