Help Needed gauge installation???

4doorbu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just got my mbrp exhaust, now i'm going to be ordering the gauges. Looking at the autometer ultra lite or phatom series. Going to be getting the boost, egt, and trans temp. Trying to make sure i get everything i need for this. Does anybody use autometer gauges? Where have you guys installed the trans temp sensor, just in the side of the pan? What about the EGT probe and what did you use? I have seen them in the manifolds, but was wondering if you could put it on the turbo down pipe. Autometer makes a probe that fits up to 4" pipe, and thats what size my down pipe is. And for the boost gauge, i'd imagine as close to the intake as possible like the elbow? Thanks for any help with this, trying to get it all set up then get a tuner.

4doorbu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link!:clap: i do like that autometer gauges better, but i like sending units from the issop(or whatever it was) better. I'm mounting mine differently, i'm going with just 2 2-5/8 gauges and putting them in the "cd holder" under the trailer brake control in the factory dash. I like the stock look, can just open it up when towing to keep an eye on it. Egt and Trans Temp is all i'm really concerned about, might get a small boost gauge later on.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im using autometer's, Im happy w/ 'em.

what sending unit do you like better from isspro...
id be willing to bet every gauge mfg is using the
same style Pyro-probe & trans temp sensor

Last edited:

4doorbu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i was looking at the trans temp sensor, if autometer uses one that doesn't involve drilling and tapping the factory pan i am all for it! I'm just used to the one on my race car that i had to drill the pan and put a probe in the pan. also what probe did you use for the pyro? I see autometer makes like 4-5 different styles and want to do this one time.

Thanks!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was looking at the trans temp sensor, if autometer uses one that doesn't involve drilling and tapping the factory pan i am all for it! I'm just used to the one on my race car that i had to drill the pan and put a probe in the pan. also what probe did you use for the pyro? I see autometer makes like 4-5 different styles and want to do this one time.

Thanks!

ive never heard of ANYONE having to drill and tap the trans pan....

ford has provided a port on the 5r110 (torqshift auto) that everyone
uses...all the gauge mfg's that i know of offer a threaded brass temp
sensor (its shows in the directions that 95_Stroker sent you).

the pyro is a bit different...youll have to drill and tap the exhaust
manifold but thats easy and worth it to insure that you get the
most accurate egt readings (dont sweat the pre/post pyro issues...
go pre-turbo & youll be certain your numbers are accurate and
comparable to 99% of everyone elses).

I ran w/ the post turbo egt pyro...using the band clamp...it was a
dumb choice...ive since moved it to the exhaust manifold and im
much happier w/ it there.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim