Question gear vendors

donpupera

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:)Any one running a gear vendors auxillary trans. in there 7.3 diesels. What do you think and are you getting the performance they claim

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I work at a shop that has installed and removed a few of them due to repeated failures. If you haul, they do not hold up to deceleration. basically they are not designed to take a load on the backside of the gears.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know plenty of people with them and as was mentioned if you are engine braking then you must put the gear vendor in 1:1 not the OD gear. Oh and you have to change the fluid about as frequently as you change your engine oil. I have found very few people who will tell you that there was an economy increase of any consequence.

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I should have clarified my explination a bit more. BJS is right. I was referring to engine braking being hard on em'. One truck we pulled a gear vender out of, hauled a heavy trailer a lot, and had an exhaust brake. Maybe if you don't haul often, and don't have an exhaust brake it may work for you.

donpupera

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. This is a great fourm and it can save a person a chunk of cash. Thanks again.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a GV on my 91 for over 150K.. served me well. Used the GM Hypoid fluid in it for smoother shifting.

Joe

(Far as I know it's still in service (as a wrecker) in Louisiana)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58