GEM Module

sparkco

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 F-250 7.3. When I keep it plugged in there are no problems but if I leave it unplugged and don't start it for 2 or 3 days the batteries drain. Through research one possibility popped up as a bad GEM module. That makes sense due to the fact that I also have no power locks, radio won't turn off when I open my door, no warning signal when I open door with keys in ignition, no reverse sensors and a couple other things. In order to replace the module do I need the exact same module number or can I buy any module that fits and just get it programmed. Or do I have a completely different problem

Bob Bergman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Beginning in 2002 the GEM module was replaced with the VSM (Vehicle Security Module). The VSM is located on the firewall, just above the transmission hump.
Ford upgraded the VSM in late 2002 due to the same issues you describe in your post with the original VSMs. The part number is not the same as the original and they do need to be re-programmed at the dealership since your old VSM has to be read (specific to your truck) and then re-flashed to the new VSM.
This may or may not be the cause of the battery drain but definitely is a place to start.

Bob - DieselOrings.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58