Going easy

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
Ok guys. I've had my 2005 f-250 since new. Ive been babying it. I have (thus far) resisited the urge to add any mod's until the warranty is out.
I'm at 74k and its in the shop for diagnosing what I think will be the EGR. The shop I have it at is where I take my Peterbilt. They also specialize in this.
I will probably opt for a delete kit if this is what the problem is. He said I may or may not need a tune to shut up the FICM for the EGR valve. I've been reading on here and I see I may want to cut out a mysterious scoop that I will probably have to do myself. Anything else?
If I go with a SCT, what should I go with? I would like to maybe get a "Tow" tune now or later. I do want to start adding some more things now and then like exhaust and maybe an intercooler. I do pull a 5er. I'm hoping to be easy and not stretch the head bolts.
If I can protect the motor and tranny with the Module that wouls be good. Tires are too D%#!* much to burn 'em.

Thanks in advavance,
"Casper"

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The scoop is part of the passenger side uppipe that feeds the egr system you need to replace it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. I've had my 2005 f-250 since new. Ive been babying it. I have (thus far) resisited the urge to add any mod's until the warranty is out.
I'm at 74k and its in the shop for diagnosing what I think will be the EGR. The shop I have it at is where I take my Peterbilt. They also specialize in this.
I will probably opt for a delete kit if this is what the problem is. He said I may or may not need a tune to shut up the FICM for the EGR valve. I've been reading on here and I see I may want to cut out a mysterious scoop that I will probably have to do myself. Anything else?
If I go with a SCT, what should I go with? I would like to maybe get a "Tow" tune now or later. I do want to start adding some more things now and then like exhaust and maybe an intercooler. I do pull a 5er. I'm hoping to be easy and not stretch the head bolts.
If I can protect the motor and tranny with the Module that wouls be good. Tires are too D%#!* much to burn 'em.

Thanks in advavance,
"Casper"

First thing should be a set of Gauges. EGT, Boost and a REAL Trans Temp. Then....

Let it Breath better with a 4" exhaust and open air intake & filter.

A mild Tune with a Tow Mode.

Switch to a Full Synthetic 5/40 Oil.

Depending on the 5r size.. increase the Trans cooler capability ?

And a coolant filter.

My .03 :dunno

Joe

Last edited:

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to delete the egr, just get a kit with a new up-pipe and then you don't need to mess with the stocker. As for SCT tunes, Matt @ Gearhead has great tunes, including a couple of tow tunes that work great. He also has the SRL, which will melt tires.:sweet If you are going in that deep in the motor, the STC fitting in the HPOP, dummy plugs, standpipes, banjo bolts, oil cooler, blue FPR spring, turbo oil supply and drain tubes, are all preventative items to give you more piece of mind. At the very least, flush the coolant and get a coolant filter BEFORE you replace the oil cooler. Otherwise you will just clog the new one, which more than likely, is why the egr went bad.

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
The mechanic is already going to replace the STC fitting at the HPOP. He's doing the delete and cleaning all the lines and oil cooler.
I will def add a coolant filter and guages. That Edge system looks like a pretty cool item for the Christmas list.:sweet

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you doing a coolant flush before you jump in and do all of this and then go back with ELC coolant.
2 stroker

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
Are you doing a coolant flush before you jump in and do all of this and then go back with ELC coolant.
2 stroker

Yeah. He's gonna flush it and I will go back with a coolant filter kit. My mechanic at work will show me how to keep it ionized and treat it.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how it all begins fellas.....LOL

You should be able to get head stud safe custom SCT tuning that will prevent the PCM (not FICM) from throwing a soft code or CEL.

Get an CTS and an exhaust for starters. OH yea.....DRIVE that truck. Diesels are workhorses which need to run. Towing the 5er helps a ton.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58