Going to a 5th wheel from a cabover

icarus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Going to a fifth wheel trailer from the current cabover and am wondering, is there a difference in the hitches mounted in the beds? Is there a style to look for before shopping the classifieds and RV lots for a trailer? Do certain fifth wheel trailers use a certain style other than making sure that the weight loads are Kosher?

With tax time near and the economy in general, I'm thinking I can find a deal on both the hitch and trailer on eBay and Craigslist. The truck is an '06 F350 6.0 with 5" suspension lift and zero issues.

Thanks in advance.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 basic 5th wheel hitch methods.

The Plate and Pin type.. like the Big Trucks have, or the Ball type, AKA the Goose Neck.

Both have their Pro & Cons. The Plate & Pin limits your bed hauling abilities, without removeing it all. The Goose Neck does to.. unless you cut a hole in the bed to mount the ball below the bed surface.

It's a Personal Choice... but whatever way you go.. Get A Hitch That Is RATED AT LEAST A Bit ABOVE.. the GVW of the 5r.

JMO but Overkill is Good.. when it comes to Hitches.

Joe

Who Knows.. you may want a bigger 5r.. down the road.. too.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
just becareful with the lift may have to flip trailer axles most all 5Rs are pin style unless you go with a stock or horse trailer which tend to be gooseneck but 5Rs can be fitted with a goose neck adapter. don't be afraid to ask to tow it, all tow differently.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 5th wheel hitch that mounts on the rails. I like the idea of this one better than the goose-neck adapter because the plate helps balance the load better as far a stabalization goes. And I beleive you may have issues with your lift...but maybe someone on here has that big of lift and has pulled a fifth wheel that can tell you otherwise.

acende

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 06 with the FX 4x4 package and I had to flip the axles on my 5th wheel trailer. I would have a trailer dealer check out your vehicle to see if it's too high to safely pull a 5th wheel. My trailer sits about an inch or two higher up front when it's hooked up. I would be careful on relying on them and have an independent trailer shop look at your rig to verify. You may have to ditch your lift kit if you want to pull a 5th wheel. Some of the newer trailers seem to be higher than the old trailers.( mine is a 1989 model)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 06 with the FX 4x4 package and I had to flip the axles on my 5th wheel trailer. I would have a trailer dealer check out your vehicle to see if it's too high to safely pull a 5th wheel. My trailer sits about an inch or two higher up front when it's hooked up. I would be careful on relying on them and have an independent trailer shop look at your rig to verify. You may have to ditch your lift kit if you want to pull a 5th wheel. Some of the newer trailers seem to be higher than the old trailers.( mine is a 1989 model)

Yes what he said, I had to flip my axles on my 5ther. It pulls fine BUT you have to check the clearance on top of the 5th wheel. Need to go to the highest point and with a level and tape check the height of the trailer on a flat road or parking lot. You'll feel like a idiot if you don't, getting stuck under a overhanging is funny if it's not you. You need to be under 13'6". 12'6" is best if you can do it.

One other thing check your gearing and your tire size. If your running 35" tires and on a stock gear like a 3.73 your trans. is not going to like it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58