Green Wrench Reduced Engine Power

will13fox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I was stuck behind someone on the highway doing 55 in a 75. I got a clear spot to pass and went for it. I got up to about 75-80 and then realized I wasn't going any faster. I looked in the mirror to see if I could get back over and saw that I was dumping a really thick cloud of white smoke. I looked at all the gauges including the turbo which was at about 20-ish and everything looked normal. I let off the fuel and it felt like it was sticking maybe a little and then started to slow down. Then the green wrench popped up and the message on the dash says reduced engine power. I made it about 3 miles before I found a spot to pull in and stop.

I'm driving an 08 F-250 FX4 6.0L and everything is stock on it. I haven't blown anymore smoke at all. I checked all the fluids and everything looks normal. No oil in the coolant, no water in the oil.

Any suggestions before I take it to Ford to pay the $100 diagnostic charge?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Get a code reader and stop paying Ford for the codes. The wrench means the PCM has a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code). Get the number of the code and look it up. We can generally help interpreting the codes.

Dave ;tu

will13fox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I took it to autozone to use their code reader and nothing popped up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those cheapies usually won't work on ford diesels.
The ones orielly has are slightly better, but not a guarantee to work.

Sent from my *******-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
79jasper is correct. Many of the cheap scanners won't work on Ford Diesels. The scanner needs to be able to communicate using CAN which is a computer language that is used to communicate with the PCM. The wrench symbol means a DTC is stored in the PCM.

Dave

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to get this right, you say you have a 08 with a 6.0. The 03 though 07 had the 6.0's and the 08 though 10's had the 6.4.
That might help the person trying to help you. Oh and by the way Welcome to SDD.com, lots of great people here to help you any
way we can.
Doug

will13fox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You're right Doug it's the 6.4. I've been so frustrated with this whole thing I wasn't even paying attention to that.

will13fox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I'm at ford they said it needs a manual regen and the EGT sensors were bad.... The tech also said that this might not fix it and it might need a new DPF.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know that a DPF is not cheap, did they give you a price for replacing it? I am driving a Dodge 6.7 on a part time
job that I have and it went out, the boss man took it to the dealer and they wanted $2500.00 to fix it. Good luck.
Doug

will13fox

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They told me about $3,000.

So yesterday they did a manual regen on it so I figured it would be good. All day today it's trying to clean the exhaust system. So now I'm thinking the filter is bad. I think I'm gonna look into a delete. Anyone know anything about the delete kits? Am I going to regret deleting it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64