Question grind at low rpm on takeoff

bigjake34452

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im sorry to bring this up because i've seen a couple of threads asking this same question, but i cant find one with an answer (prob. bad searching) i have a 2000 f-250 sc longbed with the 6 spd manual, there is a grind in the transmission when the engine is around 800 rpms or so, whether it be in 1st or reverse, it doesnt matter, same noise. as soon as i get past the range the grind is gone and the clutch feels fine, no problem going into any gear at all, just at the 800 or so rpm range. i've been in other trucks that made this noise and they said it was fine, i just wanted to make sure. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, jake. ;tu

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
input or output shaft bearings, either, or both would be my first guess..
I dunna dabble in bolt actions that much.. throw-out bearing maybe?

selphdanny

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey mine does the same thing when i had my clutch put in i asked the tech about it he said its common with the six speed then he said it was the way the gears are cut and the oil pressure is at its lowest point between 500 and 800 rpms.

PStroked444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I talked to my tranny guy he told me if I wanted to throw a quart of 50wht oil in there. I did and it quieted it down some. Mostly I could tell shifting was smoother. Other than that these trannies growl/grind when there at slow speeds. When I have to do something that slow I put it in low. :D

bigjake34452

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the fast replies guys, i havent checked the fluid yet, but the guy is a mechanic for pole trucks from florida power, he said he has used nothing but synthetic in there, would it be quiter with the regular fluid?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14