Hard start and no power HELP

magnoliatrucks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 F250 and have been having trouble starting truck. It always starts, but takes a very long time to finally turn over. The truck also has trouble keeping up with itself (no power) until the engine gets up to full operating temp The transmission also seems like it doesn't want to shift as well until the truck heats up. Once truck is hot and up to temp (takes about 30 miles of driving) the truck runs perfect and will start right up. Ford wants to charge $1800 to replace the HOP (high pressure oil pump), but can't guarantee that is the problem. Since I just spent $1700 at ford to fix the problem and they replaced the FICM which didn't fix my problem I a very apprehensive to give them any more of my $$$$. Anyone who has had this problem PLEASE HELP!!!!

JRJ04

Reaction score
First off, i see that you're in houston. what dealer are you going to? cause whoever it is...get the hell out of there and dont look back. Find someone who will diagnose your problem and not just throw parts at it (conveniently the most expensive ones)

I'm not a 6.0 expert, but someone will chime in. There was a recall for a disconnector bracket on the HPOP that was causing similiar issues to yours. That might be something to look into. Next, you might look at potential injector issues...but again...if it were my truck, I'd get that diagnosed first. I

Also, check your PM.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
If you were in the north I would tell you to plug the truck in but since you are in Texas I don't think that is the problem. I would check the batteries first because if the are old and getting weak that could be part of your problems and weak batteries can cause wierd things to happen on these trucks. I would also check all the body to chassis grounds as well as the battery cables for any sign of being lose or corrosion since you live near a salt water enviroment.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were in the north I would tell you to plug the truck in but since you are in Texas I don't think that is the problem. I would check the batteries first because if the are old and getting weak that could be part of your problems and weak batteries can cause wierd things to happen on these trucks. I would also check all the body to chassis grounds as well as the battery cables for any sign of being lose or corrosion since you live near a salt water enviroment.

X2

Especially on truck's & car's with some Time & Miles on'm ?

magnoliatrucks

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The truck has new batteries on it already and they have been checked and are working fine. Remember the truck works fine when it is HOT (at operating temp) so I don't think it is anything electrical.
I do not know how to check for recalls, but the truck being a 2006 w/ 160k I don't think for would do anything about it anyhow. Any other ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has new batteries on it already and they have been checked and are working fine. Remember the truck works fine when it is HOT (at operating temp) so I don't think it is anything electrical.
I do not know how to check for recalls, but the truck being a 2006 w/ 160k I don't think for would do anything about it anyhow. Any other ideas?
Thanks

Clean yer battery posts & cable clamps.. REAL GOOD (again ?) ( Yooper's Post #3 applies)

But: These things have a good number of Temperature sensors that MUST tell the PCM/ECM what it needs, temperature wize.. before they will go into the "Run" mode.. so to speak. Temps like.. oil, coolant, head, ambient air, etc.

Other sensors like.. fuel, oil and HPOP pressures also.

At this point... you probably need to Scan the PCM for any codes ?

Last edited:

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I had similar problems with my truck when the batteries and alternator went south. It was causing all kinds of wierd stuff to happen like the tach reading idle when I was cruising down the highway at 65. You may also be having some turbo issues as well because that can cause the lack of power but eliminate the electrical system and work from there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr