Has it been chipped?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of tell tale signs are left on a 6.0 after a programmer has been added?

Does it store a code that can be retrieved by a code scanner?? etc.?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i would bet there are traces left in an 05 or 06,
or leave a blank hole where data should be.
I read at a site how to do a drive program after you pull the tuner out that will reset the parameters but its a weird driving sequence that there is no way to do if you broke down on the road, pulling batteries will just leave the hole of missing data

thats why we still are stock so to speak
is no so much " whats there" its more of "whats not there"

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
If there is no data they can't prove a programmer is what caused it. Just had mine in the shop and put the xcal2 on it from the street tune back to stock and they ran it and it produced an egr code, which I let them know that code came from the turbo hanging and the agreed.

No worries.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
F350CCFX4 said:
If there is no data they can't prove a programmer is what caused it. Just had mine in the shop and put the xcal2 on it from the street tune back to stock and they ran it and it produced an egr code, which I let them know that code came from the turbo hanging and the agreed.

No worries.

right i geuss i should have been more clear
it does open up a point of you said he said with the dealer if they are prying
my 02 had the predator, and when it went in for service it left no codes but holes of missing data much like a battery being unplugged so they would ask..... since it was POSSIBLE i had a tuner, "do you load a chip" key word being chip so i honestly said NO.
attitude and careful wording is the course if your dealer is gun shy so to speak.
and with 60k worry free tuner loaded miles i firmly beleive it HOW you drive vice what you LOAD electronically

i think tuners are fantastic but with as much $$ as i have wrapped in my truck and rv i am not willing to risk the warranty just yet.
i amy not alwasy be near my friendly dealer

F350CCFX4

Smokin Bye
Reaction score
They were more worried about my Airaid intake then any possibility of a chip, because the turbo was sticking. I asked them to show me the fan blades and they stopped probing.

Just unhook the batteries so you don't have to lie about the blank data.

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
Just brought my truck into the shop yesterday for turbo lag, lack of power and I have had a SCMT on it for 50k miles. Got a call saying they're replacing the turbo (3rd time) and the #3 injector, all under warranty. The programmer never was an issue, but they didn't ask, either. I will say, though, that I don't beat my truck either, I use a programmer to compensate for the god-awful turbo lag.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
texex-
couple of issues: i assume you did pay the $100 ded? and that it was not totally fee...
and w/ your third turbo, have you asked why you are using them up? see if they are putting in old rebuilts or new upgraded ones. i had same issues, i am on my third and had all 8 injectors done (among other things). runs like a raped ape now... :thumbs i don't notice any turbo lag.:dunno

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you considering horrible turbo lag, time wise? My truck and a few others I've talked to, that under WOT, you can count to three and BOOM it takes off. Is your lag time worse than that?

What gets me is that the 7.3 PSDs didn't seem to be affected like this. It might also be though that the ambulance I was driving had 5.38 gears, so it was spinning up under much less load (for lack of a better explanation)

I wonder how much better or worse my truck would run if it had 4.10's under it. It seems like with a slightly lower gear it would shift less on hills, particularly at about 50-55 mph. If I get into it anything over 10 PSI, it immediately wants to shift. I can hold the speed, but if I want to gain some on a moderate hill (not strait up and down, but not flat either) It has to downshift. I'd have to think that with an extra 3 or 400 RPM under it, it would be further into the power curve, and therefore less likely to shift.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bruce, didn't you just have the turbo repleased about a mo or two ago. You do have a sat of gages on your X don't you? I see that you are pulling a nice sized rv of about 11,000 LB.
I am like Red 6.0 Something is just not right with this picture. Can you afford this truck after the warranty runs out on it?

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
TexasExcursion said:
Just brought my truck into the shop yesterday for turbo lag, lack of power and I have had a SCMT on it for 50k miles. Got a call saying they're replacing the turbo (3rd time) and the #3 injector, all under warranty. The programmer never was an issue, but they didn't ask, either. I will say, though, that I don't beat my truck either, I use a programmer to compensate for the god-awful turbo lag.
Wow, you're truck really likes to eat turbos up.

I think it's a deeper problem other than turbo, and that you might wanna sell your truck eventually cause you're not gonna wanna pay for a new turbo every few months. JMHO.