Help needed with a F550 Oil pan R&R

snap it

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I work for a Township as a mechanic and today I pulled the motor on our 2000 F550 7.3L to do a oil pan R/R. My questions are.......

Should I pull off the turbo at the Y pipe to make it a little easier to put the motor back in? If I do that can the bolts be reached to bolt it back on or is it more trouble to do it this way? Seemed a little tight to get the motor out and I was thinking this may give me some more room.

I also unbolted the motor mounts at the cross member and left the attached to the motor. Should I pull them off as well to give me some more room and reinstall them later (after the motor is in)?

Any other things to do to it that might make this go in a lot easier?

Thanks

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off I want to say Welcome to SSD.com. Someone should be along soon to help you out.

snap it

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:thanks :thumbs

I love that I found this.....There's a lot of things I have read on here that I could have used a long time ago. I could have saved so much time trying to figure things out:doh:

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
Welcome to the site snap it. Nice to have another fellow tech on here. Do you have someone helping you? With two people the install should go in easy. I just replaced a 5.8 today with a jasper replacement. Where are you located?

snap it

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site snap it. Nice to have another fellow tech on here. Do you have someone helping you? With two people the install should go in easy. I just replaced a 5.8 today with a jasper replacement. Where are you located?

Thanks, Yep I have another Tech with me. The problem is the Turbo hits the same time as the oil pan hits....more like a heavy rub then a "hit". I just wish I could get more room in there. I don't want to put too many scratches in the pan I just put two coats of an Epoxy primmer sealer on it. I can always touch it up when its in. What a PIMA. One down Three to go:doh:

I live in Wonder Lake IL. but work in Barrington IL.

hwytom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
we usually unbolt and lift the cab,the other option is core support bolts and cab bolts jack up some and block it. watch or disconnect trans linkage if its on,and steering shaft.

as long as the bolts turn ok.

but seems like unbolting cab and removeing it on motor jobs seems like a faster way here. but i have the hoist for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track