Help with tires

MB Dave

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

Just bought a 08 F450. The tires on this car a beyond terrible. You can not hold a conversation in the car at speeds for 40+. I need new to tires ASAP any recommendations. The Current tires are some Chinese knock of brand (i'm 99% sure that's why). The current size is 245/70/19.5. This truck will be used for towing I plan on getting a 5th wheel hitch and a 40 foot trailer within a month. This truck will be towing 24k at least twice a week. So the tires need to be able bare the load and they have to be quiet. They also have to do well in the snow my main route will be Chicago to Grand Rapids. (I'm in the lumber industry) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
-Dave

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Any tire YOU like as long as it is rated at least Load Range "E". Anything less is dangerous.

Dave :)

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You going to be pulling a loaded trailer a lot of miles per week you need good tires.
I don't like the Chinese tires, but it's hard to know where the tires are made these days.
Ask questions and look the tires over real close. Sometimes they say where there made.
Good Luck
Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave & Doug said.

And.. when you make your choice, ask the Tire dealer what the date of Manufacture was... for Each Tire. It's often on the sticker.. on the tread, or
molded/stamped On the sidewall, it will likely be a 4 digit number.. they often use the Julian Calendar Date. Example:

Today is: 28 July, 2011, that converts to= 2011,the 209th day, or 1209.

I know this sounds like Rocket Science, as far as buying Dang tires.. but if yer not careful.. you can end up buying NEW TIRES, that really..Are Not So New.

How Old.. can/should a New Tire be ? There's Much debate on that. (JLD ?)

My cut off is.. less than a year old.

Buy a Set of tires, that were built on the same Day of the same Year.. is the bottom line ?

Joe

My Real World experience with that was: The (new) Spare, on my Brand New 2000 F-350 was built in 1996. 4 years old.. at the time of purchase.

MB Dave

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help Gents! Any particular website I should be looking at? I've tried tire rack but couldn't find much.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michelin's are fine truck tires, but I don't care for there Trailer Tires,
most are only rated at 62 MPH.
Have you looked at a Hankook Tires for your truck, I have them on my F-350
and so far they are wearing real good.
Doug

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads