hi everyone question here

f450idi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 1990 f450. how much weight can this truck tow. it doesn't have a turbo either. Will i be screwed on steep hills? looking to pull a trailer weight of 13,500-14,000

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Do you have an owners manual for the truck? If so that is the first place I would look. It should give you a break down of Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCVW) depending on F 250, 350, or 450 and which rear axle gear ratio the truck is equipped with.

I don't have any experience towing with an IDI Diesel but my guess is that you will lose some speed climbing hills but I wouldn't go so far as to say you're screwed.

One thing you didn't mention is whay type of trailer are you going to be pulling, gooseneck/5th wheel or bumper pull?

Diesel Kinevel

97 Stroker
Reaction score
I had a 7.3 idi back in the day. Before I bought it the previous owner used it to pull large woodsplitters and stuff like that. The heaviest I ever towed with it was a Chevy 3/4 ton gas truck pulling the other way:innocent

-Z

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
f450idi,

I would recommend that you post this question over on out sister site Oilburners.net. It is the best site for everything IDI..... the guys over there in the 6.9/7.3 section are the best resources out there on the older trucks. They can also help you diagnose and fix almost any problem with this truck.......

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW ? I had a 91 IDI, had a 11', 1200lb Lance camper on it. Tried pulling a 3500lb Boat.... I was a Hazard to the motoring public.

Turbo'd (ATS) it and turned the pump up an Allen flat, 4" exhaust.. put a Gear Vendor splitter in.. and drove in 4th Over.. it was Much Better but still.. Un-Sat... Over-all.

Granted.. I was asking allot from it.. but Naturally Aspirated.. the IDI's aren't much of a Puller/Hauler..... even at, or under, the 11,000 GVWR, IMO.

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I see them as a good old mule, slow and easy, but gets the job done. At least that is how I saw my '93 IDI.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see them as a good old mule, slow and easy, but gets the job done. At least that is how I saw my '93 IDI.

Dave

;tu Agreed

In comparison to the my 2K.. All thee Above applied.. But "ol Blue NEVER let me down, tried'n True.. Like Good 'ol Draft Horse.

But as I pull the hills 'round here @ 55/60, nowadayz..... I often remember 30/35, in "ol Blue.. Scream'n his guts out.. traffic backed up.... but he was doin the best he could.... Ahhhhh Back In The Day..;):lmao:lmao

lota folks usta let me know I was # 1 tho... when I pulled over'n let'm pass, when I could..;):D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58