High Idle

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool....
no problem... I'm just wondering....
guess I stop at the wrong rest stops :)
but have stopped at many cuz of the wife's tiny bladder on our night trips and the large cars I hear are not at a high idle...

but again...
still have not heard of anyone that has had a problem with wet stacking...

being a visitor to a few other forums I've heard about EVERYTHING else horrible about the 6-oh :0
if u know what I mean :)

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
That's cool....
no problem... I'm just wondering....
guess I stop at the wrong rest stops :)
but have stopped at many cuz of the wife's tiny bladder on our night trips and the large cars I hear are not at a high idle...

but again...
still have not heard of anyone that has had a problem with wet stacking...

being a visitor to a few other forums I've heard about EVERYTHING else horrible about the 6-oh :0
if u know what I mea :eek:

Truckers have a solution for the tiny bladder problem too. It's called the empty juice bottle. A word to the wise though. Don't use an apple juice bottle, cause when your real thirsty you may make a HUGE mistake :eek: .

BlueMule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
Is it worth using up one of the settings on a four position chip?

Should you use High idle setting for warming up and cooling down?

What RPM should it be set at?

How much faster does it cool down than regular?

What other uses does it have?

I use my hi idle for both cooling down and warming up :D Im in the desert and summer is here.Already had several 100º days and expecting 110º by this weekend :( At the end of the work day I park the work truck, jump in the pickup and drive to the office and timeclock. Flip to hi idle (1100 rpm)and hit max A/C. By the time I get back out the air is cold and the motor is warm enough I can switch over to the WVO tank. :thumbs

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
Does anyone know anyone that has had a problem with "wet stacking" ?

At what mileage does wet stacking issues present itself ?

i am not being argumentative here, just REALLY curious if this is a real world issue... I have had diesels and remote starters and idled for a LONG time and never had an issue...

EVERY 18 wheeler in the world idles all night long when a sleeper is involved....

just wondering if some are being overly cautious bordering on paranoid :D

Just for what it's worth. I'v done some OTR truck'n, had fleets of diesel equipment. I know prolly a hundred or two folks with diesel pick-ups. I have NEVER heard of ANYONE Wet-Stak'n thier Dezel.

I seen it as an SOP not to idle down (for long) stationary Gen Sets, Pumps and the like, when switching/cycleing for PM or service, to prevent wet stacking, but never in or on mobile type equipment. Maybe in a delivery application like UPS or FED-EX ?

JMO but I'm not guna worry about it, the way I use my truck anyway. I don't idle anything for any longer than it takes to cool it down some. 250* on my 2K, takes about 3 minutes.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Something that hasn't been mentioned is that the 99-up trucks will idle up on there own if the oil gets below a certain temp(I forget what temp). The 94-97 trucks will not do it automatically but the later models will. Our Excursion idles up if it sits very long at all during the winter(well below zero) but in the summer it rarely does. The auto idle-up should eliminate any worries about wet stacking..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg