High pitch whine

Discussion in 'General Super Duty Discussion' started by Wayland Walker, Mar 16, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. Wayland Walker

Wayland Walker SDD Junior Member

I have a 2016 f350 and it has a high pitch whine when I drive it, almost like it is stuck in some way. It seems to disappear "sometimes" once I get on the highway and attain speed. Any suggestions?

2. DaveBen

DaveBen SDD Senior Member

Whine from the turbocharger? It is normal to hear it whine.

3. Wayland Walker

but this does not sound like that whine, almost like it's sucking air, terrible fuel milage as well.

4. DaveBen

DaveBen SDD Senior Member

OK, We need a few things: #1 Put your truck information, engine and tranny, information in your signature so we ALL don''t keep asking the same thing. Go to your user name, above, and click on signature and fill it out.

What have you done to your truck? Is it stock or have you added something to it? Have you looked under the hood for loose or missing items?

5. Wayland Walker

All stock nothing noticeable under the hood. When it starts and is put in gear the engine sounds as if it's under load. The turbo indicator goes up and down erratically it seems and then when highway speed is achieved it goes away. All around mileage is 12mpg. Transmission shift is smooth all the way through. I have 126K miles on it.

6. FordPhreak

FordPhreak SDD Junior Member

i'm getting a similar noise. It seems to me my problem is either my belt or one of my pulleys. it's a very annoying sound. I might replace my belt and see if that fixes my problem.

7. 01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra Full Access Member

If the boost is jumping around I'd say you have a leak somewhere. It hasn't had any codes pop up?