Homegrown WVO system

mygsris2slo4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading up on running on WVO and I think I want to piece together a homemade system. Here is the list that I have come up with so far:

- used diesel fuel tank from a boat
- plantdrive.com turbofyner coolant heated 5 micron filter
- plantdrive.com 6 port valve for WVO/diesel selection

The remaining parts of the system I am open to hearing comments on.

I'm not sure if additional heating will be required (I think it will be), but if it is I have not decided on either an inline electric heater or a fphe to heat the WVO.

Also, I'm looking for ideas to eliminate the stock fuel bowl to speed up purging. If I delete the stock fuel bowl do I need to install a new fuel(diesel) filter somewhere in the system?

Additionally I'm wondering how to determine whether or not the system has been completely purged?

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can piece one together, sure, but you might do just as well to get the whole kit while you're at it.

I've got the plantdrive setup, it's been working really well.

You'll probably want another filter, so you can use one for your WVO, the other for diesel.
I think you'll need more heating, too. I've got a hotfox, FPHE, AND in-line electric heating in addition to the coolant-heated filter.

Plantdrive sells a slug for the powerstroke that displaces most of your stock filter volume, resulting in really fast purges. You didn't mention what make/model/year truck you've got, so I don't know if that pertains to you or not...

mygsris2slo4u

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention what make/model/year truck you've got, so I don't know if that pertains to you or not...

Sorry about that! It would probably help. It's an early 99 f-250

And after a bit more reading it seems that the kit would probably work out better and add an inline heater.

One more question that I had is how exactly do you approach restaraunts for the used oil. I'm a bit on the shy side and a pessimist so I have a feeling I won't be able to get any! :dunno

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did was start by frequenting the place...get to know the owners, become a regular.... You'll have much better luck with small shops than larger ones (most of the times, the larger ones have contracts and are less likely to deal with you anyways).

Then, just tell them what you are doing, and ask if you can pick up their oil. The worst they can do is tell you no...don't worry about it. Keep going back to eat there, they may change their mind later. At one time, I had a flyer I took around with me that I could leave with them, kind of telling the same stuff, just so they would have something to look at later...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg