how do I clear check engine light

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way I can clear the codes from the ECU so the check engine goes out? Trying to do this myself.

I tried to disconnect batteries (both black cables) for about 10 minutes but no luck-- oddly enough, the radio did not lose the presets.

Thanks
david

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the RED(+) cables. Disconnecting the Black (-) from the Batterys doesn't accomplish anything...Most of the systems are grounded independantly, to chassis grounds.

Joe

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most any auto mechanc will have a snap-on compter than will tell you what the cade is and will clear it for about $20. Takes about 2min

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most any auto mechanc will have a snap-on compter than will tell you what the cade is and will clear it for about $20. Takes about 2min

Right.. Ford wanted 90.00. My friend there actually suggested AutoZone in order to simply get the codes so he could look them up for me. My nearest Ford dealer is backed up with Super Duty repairs (they only have two bays for them.)

My local Autozone only scans the codes and can't do the reset.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right.. Ford wanted 90.00. My friend there actually suggested AutoZone in order to simply get the codes so he could look them up for me. My nearest Ford dealer is backed up with Super Duty repairs (they only have two bays for them.)

My local Autozone only scans the codes and can't do the reset.

Your are correct. Autozone can not clear the codes because they do not have a Snap-On computer (The actual name brand). You have to go to a mechanic shop that has one. These computers cost like $7-$8,000. Even most transmission shops carry these computers. Thats where I had my codes cleared for the grand total of $24.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snap-On is not the Only scanner that can reset the CEL. My Autoenginuity scanner can.

Dave

I knowthat there are lots of other devices that can do this. But snap-on is the only one I'm familiar with so its the only one I'm going to speak up for.

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm gonna try to simply disconnect black and red cables from both batteries. When I reconnect do I connect reds forst then blacks last? Any particular order with dual batteries?

Also-- I will also change fuel filters-- I've been noticing a lot of gunk and sand coming out when I drain the filter under the truck. It's only been about 10K miles, but I think I should do this. Could be the simple reason why the P0088 code went off.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm gonna try to simply disconnect black and red cables from both batteries. When I reconnect do I connect reds forst then blacks last? Any particular order with dual batteries?

Here is probably the SAFEST way for you to disconnect/reconnect the Batts:

Wear Gloves & Eye protection

1. Disconnect the Driverside BLACK (-) cable First.

2. Disconnect the Passenger side Black (-) cable Second.

3. Disconnect the Driverside RED (+) cable Third... Insolate it (I use electrical tape, or a DRY rag)

4. Disconnect the Passenger side RED (+) Forth... Insolate it also.

To Reconnect them.. It's 4, 3, 2, 1.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14