How to Refinish RV's Clearcoat

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are driving along on the open road in your trusty old RV and a brand new, shiny rig drives by. Suddenly you wish that you had at least washed yours recently. An RV gets hammered with rain and bright sun whenever it is out on the road. If your RV sits outside the rest of the year, it receives even more abuse. The clearcoat on your RV can begin to flake, chip and even yellow after years of sun exposure. Keep the clear coat looking sharp.

Difficulty:ModerateInstructions
Things You'll Need
Hose
Oxygenated bleach
Bucket
Sponge
Degreasing cleaner
Abrasive pad
Scouring powder
Rubbing alcohol
Clear coat
Suggest Edits

1)Rinse the RV with water from the hose to remove visible dirt.

2)Follow the package directions on the oxygenated bleach to create a solution of bleach and water. Dip a sponge in the solution and scrub the surface of the RV thoroughly.

3)Spray de-greasing cleaner onto the RV. Scrub with the sponge to remove all oils and grease from the surface. Rinse the RV with the hose to remove the chemicals.

4)Pour 1 tbsp. of scouring powder onto a scrub sponge. Scrub the surface of the RV in a circular motion to remove any remaining dirt and also to slightly scuff the surface coat. The clear coat will better adhere to a slightly rough surface. Rinse with clean water.

5)Pour rubbing alcohol onto a rag and wipe down the RV to remove all traces of soap and chemicals.

6)Dip a paintbrush into clear coat. Apply a light, even coat of the clear coat to the RV. Paint in one direction and do not let the bristles fan out at the end of the brush stroke. This will eliminate brush strokes and provide a better finished coating. Apply two to three thin coats of clear coat.

I would sagest spraying the clear coat.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
brush would be fine.. especially if you thin it a hair to let it flow out better

I'd use fast-dry enamel reducer (Dupont 3812) instead of rubbing alcohol

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brush would be fine.. especially if you thin it a hair to let it flow out better

I'd use fast-dry enamel reducer (Dupont 3812) instead of rubbing alcohol

I'd be worried about the $1000 dollars worth of Vinyl Graphics I just had re-done (the adhesive) during the prep work, and what the clear-coat might do to'm too.

Thoughts anyone ??

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clear-coating over the Vinyl Graphics should not be a problem. It would seal the Graphics so you dont have peeling.

I have Vinyl Graphics stuff at the shop. I'll see about testing them. Well see what happens.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clear-coating over the Vinyl Graphics should not be a problem. It would seal the Graphics so you dont have peeling.

I have Vinyl Graphics stuff at the shop. I'll see about testing them. Well see what happens.

;tu Would Appreciate that Russ.

Joe

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i would do all the above sans the paint on clear coat....
instead use a high polish floor polish, non buff like redpromax or zep high traffic floor polish
i have seen it in person make an older looking surface shine like a diamond in a goats butt after a few coats...

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Ocean Polymer by Ardex. Work great, but not cheep. But there only so much wax can do.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joe you can clear-coat over Vinyl Graphics. Just be careful of what you use to clean them with. They said it's a good thing to do anyway. :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track