Help Needed How to use the block heater

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so before anyone starts laughing, us Floridians aren't super experienced with cold weather parts on vehicles. My 2001 7.3 has a block heater, as it was used up north. I have never used one, and wanted to make sure there's nothing to look out for. Being the truck is on original glow plugs and injectors, I want to use the block heater to aid anywhere possible while this cooler weather moves in. Any advice is appreciated

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the cord from end to end. Replace if there's any cracks.
Best to use a outdoor rated timer. Set it to come on 2-3 hours before you leave.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell if it's working or not?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Watch your houses meter and see if it starts to spin faster. If it does, then it is working. Now it will not make the meter spin like a pinwheel or a roulette wheel...

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch your houses meter and see if it starts to spin faster. If it does, then it is working. Now it will not make the meter spin like a pinwheel or a roulette wheel...
I'll take a look. Still in the 70's right now so it'll be a few weeks. Just wanted some input. Thank you!

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, sure! There's several. If you have a clamp on ammeter, that will be obvious--plug it in, measure the current flow. (or use Dave's idea, that's one ammeter!)

If it is cold enough outside, you can feel the cord warm up a bit; and if it's not too cold, you can feel the coolant getting a bit warm (but it takes a long time - that's a lot of cold cast iron the heater is plugged into).

Oh...sometimes when cold and I plug in, I can hear a noise like bubbles. And you can usually tell by how well it starts (or doesn't) if it has been sitting plugged in and it is COLD (not Florida cold...).

Real cold, like below 10F or so, a few hours of block heat has not been enough. I leave it plugged overnight sometimes...if it's already warm, it seems to stay warm easier than trying to warm it back up

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ yours could be weak. Lol
But depends on the Temps when a few hours isn't enough.
Hearing the bubbling is a good check. Every one I've ever been around was like that. Just like a hot water tank. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use at least a 15 amp (20 is better) rated timer, on a dedicated circuit for JUST the Timer, when the timer will be used. The block heater pulls 12 to 1500 watts. Home Depot & Lowes have them.

Use at least a 12 gauge extension cord that is [JUST Long Enough] to reach from the Timer, to the heater plug. (longer the cord*.. the more volt/amp loss, due to length)(resistance)

Plug it in for At Least 2 hours if the temps are 30*, or lower. Longer if 20*, or lower.

It doesn't HEAT the Block.. it just WARMS it some. You won't have instant heat in the cab.

Listen for the "Gurgling". It "cooks" the H2O out of the coolant.. so if you use it a lot.. you need to check the coolant level more often.

Joe

* I made one up, to suit the length, using 10 gauge SO cord.. for that Warm'n Fuzzy feeling, knowing I've got good current flow.. in Cold, Cold weather ?

Last edited:

cpadolf3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the replies! Sure makes me feel better about it before I begin using it. I have a couple more "cold weather" related questions I will post in a new thread later today. Thanks again

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be considered cold enough to need this? I doubt I'll need one in CA. More of a curiosity question.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64