How will this tow?

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I finally picked up a trailer for my Jeep. As I stated in my first post, the reason for buying this truck was to use as a tow rig for my 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. She's sitting on 41" Pitbull Rockers and weighs in at ~6,000 lbs. The trailer weighs ~4,100 lbs. I figure with all the gear I'll be carrying for a weekend of wheeling, I'll have a load of probably ~11k lbs. Trailer is a dual axle, 25' gooseneck. Any words of wisdom? I've towed a little, but this will be my first real trailer towing experience. All my previous towing has been small utility trailers, etc. I know the concept, but lack the experience. I'll err on the side of caution and I'm not THAT worried, but any tips are welcome.

So, how will this tow? Any estimates on fuel mileage?

Oldbull8

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently had a dual axle (tandem) 25' GN myself. It was rated at 14K GVW. If your GN actually is ~4100 and you have a ~11K load, you'd be 15000 GVW. After loading, I'd run it over a scale, some truck stops have them, cost is about $5-7. You'll love a GN, they tow nice and you can make a quick maneuver and they'll just follow along with complete control.

Have fun.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hauling the Jeep on the Goose Neck trailer will be a cake-walk, compared to flat towing the Jeep. The Jeep pushes a lot, compared to the Goose Neck. Just make sure you have a good trailer brake controller. (I am assuming you are using the '03 F250)

Dave :)

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently had a dual axle (tandem) 25' GN myself. It was rated at 14K GVW. If your GN actually is ~4100 and you have a ~11K load, you'd be 15000 GVW. After loading, I'd run it over a scale, some truck stops have them, cost is about $5-7. You'll love a GN, they tow nice and you can make a quick maneuver and they'll just follow along with complete control.

Have fun.

No, no, no. I mean 11k total. Jeep is 6k, trailer is 4k, and I guess about 1k or so of miscellaneous supplies. I think 11k trailer weight is what I'll be pulling.

Hauling the Jeep on the Goose Neck trailer will be a cake-walk, compared to flat towing the Jeep. The Jeep pushes a lot, compared to the Goose Neck. Just make sure you have a good trailer brake controller. (I am assuming you are using the '03 F250)

Dave :)

Yep, the 03 F250 is the tow rig now. I will be getting a brake controller installed at the same time I pick up the trailer. Getting the B&W turnover ball installed at that time, too.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was pretty sure it'd pull it fine, but wanted some other opinions.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the trailer a new or used trailer? Wish you could post a picture of it. It should pull great loaded, you will want to try a
few different locations on the trailer to get the right load pattern to know where you want the Jeep to set for pulling.
You having tie down rings installed by the seller? Good Luck.
Doug

troutwest66

6.0- The Dark Side!
Reaction score
Just remember a 5th wheel/goose neck doesn't track like a bumper pull. Wider turns and backs up differently. Practice some and don't be afraid to wiggle back and forth when maneuvering. I'd rather take a few extra minutes backing up then denting something.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
If your truck gets into the hops on certain roads moving your jeep forwards or back 6 inches to a foot can smooth it out. I've had goosenecks since 89 starting with a 20 footer pulled by a half ton to a 30 and now a 36ft drop deck to haul my trail rigs. You'll love the way they tow. I get 18mpg empty, 12.5mpg pulling a light trailer, and 10-12 pulling the big one loaded.

03F250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just used the truck this weekend to pull the Jeep for the first time. I'd pulled a smaller, lighter Cherokee with it already, but this was the first real test. I pulled my Jeep (~6,000 lbs) about 300 miles with a total of about 2500' elevation change over the total route. No huge mountain passes, but about as much as I can expect on this side of the Mississippi. I haven't filled it up yet, but the fuel light just came on while I was putting the trailer in the back yard so I'm figuring I got about 330 miles or so on about 32-33 gallons. Right around 10mpg pulling seems about right to me. I'll confirm when I fill up and do the math.

Just remember a 5th wheel/goose neck doesn't track like a bumper pull. Wider turns and backs up differently. Practice some and don't be afraid to wiggle back and forth when maneuvering. I'd rather take a few extra minutes backing up then denting something.

Yeah, I'm getting better. Still hard to get it into tight spots, but I'm getting the hang of it.

If your truck gets into the hops on certain roads moving your jeep forwards or back 6 inches to a foot can smooth it out. I've had goosenecks since 89 starting with a 20 footer pulled by a half ton to a 30 and now a 36ft drop deck to haul my trail rigs. You'll love the way they tow. I get 18mpg empty, 12.5mpg pulling a light trailer, and 10-12 pulling the big one loaded.

Yep, she was hopping a bit on the trip up to the park on Friday evening, but on the way back I moved it about a foot forward and it helped. I'm gonna play with the placement on the trailer a bit to figure out where it pulls best.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64