HPOP Leak, Non-serviceable plug?

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, my HPOP is leaking (again) and I've finally traced it to the plug with the green arrow in the attached pic. Is this the venerable "non-serviceable" plug?

I have read a bunch of old posts saying some have fixed it, others just replaced the hpop. Does anyone here have personal experience fixing this problem WITHOUT a new hpop? My truck runs like a top, I can't stomach dropping $1k to fix a measly oil leak.

help? thoughts?

uloadit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the DT466 I-6 engine uses a very similar HPOP and there was actually a recall that addressed this issue. The recall was only for the I-6 though so that is why many people wouldn't know about it. the repair kit has the instructions,new plug, o-ring, and loctite (the kit contains extra parts that aren't used on the 7.3 HPOP). The part # for this kit is 1842906C92. before any plug is removed, the HPOP should be positioned straight up and down with the machined face down and the snap ring end up so that the "ferry plug check ball" is not disturbed.

96P_Stroke4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uloadit is right. it's actually an easy fix. i did it a couple months ago. just use a little heat to break the original loctite loose. and it is important to have the hpop in the position uloadit described.

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
excellent. I had read about the IH kit, and was leaning that way. I'm just worried about not being able to get the loctite loose...seems many have had the plug come out along with the threads....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58