Hutch mod questions?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I'm gonna be doing the hutch mod soon and thought I would ask a few questions here first.

1. Are there any special tools I will need?

2. I have seen a hutch mod kit on strictly diesel. Are there any other sites that I should consider for quality/ price?

3. What noticeable difference, if any, should I notice?

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Special tools? I do not think so if you are using Strickly Diesel's kit. But I would suggest getting something that can cut the plastic tubes that are in the tank. Will allow for faster fill ups.

If you are interested in doing all the work your self, here is a link I used, allong with the directions for SD, and did my own.

Biggest pains for me were lowering and raising the tank, and making sure the sending unit was at the proper length.

Differences? Not sure. But anything that is inexpensive and could help the truck out, I'll do it. Lets me get my hands dirty.:thumbs

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What dboyw said.. and my .03 ?

I'm gonna be doing the hutch mod soon and thought I would ask a few questions here first.

1. Are there any special tools I will need?

**A PVC cutter to cut the vent tube off.. for faster and complete fuel top offs. (the "Harpoon" mod)

2. I have seen a hutch mod kit on strictly diesel. Are there any other sites that I should consider for quality/ price?

** I used the kit from Dieselsite.. all are of same quality.. yer call. IMO the "Kits" are the way to go ?

3. What noticeable difference, if any, should I notice?

**Fords tank pick up set-up can allow air to get into the fuel system at lower than 1/2 tank full. Not Good. Doing this mod will (after purging that air) make yer 7.3 a bit quieter.. and noticeably stronger.

If you haven't done it already.. Replacing the Fuel Pump inlet fitting will also eliminate a (VERY LIKELY) air intrusion source. Both mods enhance one-another ?

Joe

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I pulled the bed off my 99.5 to do the mods.......it wasn't difficult.

Tbar

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
haven't heard the Hutch mod name is years
I have a bit of sand in my craw for those that stole his ideas and research and provided no royalties.
But oh well, those were the days of the early MODIFICATION nuts (me included)
i believe rooster diesel still has my old regulator...anyone here form him any more

you can build your own pretty simple or buy a kit
both go on/in about 3 hrs if your tank is empty or you lift the bed (easier route, unless you have a hitch plate in the bed already)
or you can forgo the tank parts and get great results by just re-routing return fuel

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys.

As far as removing the bed, im guessing its just removing the four bolts in the bed and disconnecting the filler neck?

And powerboatr, are you saying that if you do the regulated return, the in tank mods are pointless?

Big joe, I guess i might as well replace the fuel pump inlet fitting while im at it. Does that mod have a name? Reason I ask is cause i would like to find a write up on how to do it?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score

As far as removing the bed, im guessing its just removing the four bolts in the bed and disconnecting the filler neck?

And powerboatr, are you saying that if you do the regulated return, the in tank mods are pointless?

Big joe, I guess i might as well replace the fuel pump inlet fitting while im at it. Does that mod have a name? Reason I ask is cause i would like to find a write up on how to do it?

nope the harpooning of the tank and removing the duck bill contraption does gain beneifts
but is time is short or help scarce....just doing the topside fuel filter return and heads lines will be unmistakeable
your engine will idle like a kitten
i ran 65 psi on my regulator....each engine has a sweet spot so you will have to adjust accordingly

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The fuel pump inlet R&R doesn't really have a "name".. it's just a good mod that fixes a Real Possible source for a "air in the fuel" issue. It's a Pressure fitting, Not a Suction fitting.

Easy'n cheap to do. 2 band clamps and a piece of diesel friendly fuel hose.

Crawl under the D-side and yul see what needs to be replaced. there's a tool to remove the QD fitting.. (I just use a needle nose pliers) and it's plastic hose that connects the steel fuel line from the tank..to the fuel pump. Yul be Replaceing that whole assembly with the fuel hose/band clamps.

When yer doing this mod.. now is a good time to install the pre-filter (?).. from the steel fuel line.. thru the filter, then to the fuel pump.. yer call.

Joe

Many of our SDD site sponcers have pre-filter kits, with all the pieces'n parts to do all the above.. again.. yer call Clint.
HINT: when you change out the pre-filter.. have a full tank of fuel.. let Gravity work for ya, as far as re-charging the filter canister ?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58